Wargus: How to play online

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.
Gerswin

Wargus: How to play online

Post by Gerswin »

I'm totally new to Stratagus, having just discovered it. I've downloaded Wargus but I can't seem to figure out how to play online with a friend. Can we use the "metaserver" to supply each other's IP addresses and ports?

I've searched for documentation on this but haven't been able to find anything.

Also, over on the steam group I saw a comment about games getting out of sync. Is this a common issue?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Gerswin

Re: Wargus: How to play online

Post by Gerswin »

I've made a slight bit of progress. I'm using two machines on my local network to test things out. I'm using their local IP addresses to connect (i.e. 192.168.10.100 & 192.168.10.101).

When either machine hosts, it can see the second machine trying to join ("machine2 Preparing"), but the second machine immediately gets a "map not available" error. After that, each time it tries to connect, it times out and says "Cannot reach server."

Both machines are running Wargus 2.3

Any ideas?
Gerswin

Post by Gerswin »

I've simplified it down to trying to run two instances of the game on one machine, and hosting in one instance and connecting to local host on the other. Still no dice.
Attachments
wargus.png
wargus.png (664.81 KiB) Viewed 10638 times
jarod42

Post by jarod42 »

If you try on the same machine, you have to specify the port to use (`-p` if I remember) when launching stratagus else both instance try to use the same port and it will not be possible.
Gerswin

Post by Gerswin »

Thanks! Can you (or anyone else) be specific about how to do that? Where do I put "-p", and should I specify a port? What would that look like typed out?
jarod42

Post by jarod42 »

In command line, instead of simply

Code: Select all

wargus.exe
you have to write something like:

wargus.exe -p 4242
I don't remember default port used.
Notice than to connect, the other client would have to provide port too :

localhost:4242
Gerswin

Post by Gerswin »

I really appreciate the help.

When I launch with what's in the attached image, the application starts and some yellow text flashes quickly at the bottom (I think it's loading assets), and then it immediately crashes.

Any ideas?

Also... I was only doing this as a test for trying to play on a LAN or over the internet, since those weren't working. So if it'd be easier to get either of those running, I'd be all for that.
Attachments
wargus2.png
wargus2.png (14.79 KiB) Viewed 10621 times
Yukiko

Post by Yukiko »

Use the command line.

cd\
cd program files (x86)
cd wargus
wargus.exe -p 4242
Gerswin

Post by Gerswin »

Thanks for the assistance Yukiko. Unfortunately it still closes immediately. Here's a video of what happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8sYrqe ... e=youtu.be

I know people have put years of work into this software, so I'm hoping that at this point it's not dead, and that someone can help me get it running.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

What I do to play "local" multiplayer is starting one game normally, and then another with the following command line stuff: "-P port". If it still doesn't work for you, I would check if stderr.txt says anything.