MacOS native binary seems slow

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.
pancho

MacOS native binary seems slow

Post by pancho »

Hi.
I've compiled stratagus 2.3 on MacOS 10.9. But, surprisingly, this native build runs slower than the distributed .exe in wine on the same system and data (Aleona's Tales and Wyrmsun). This isn't only ingame issue, but can especially be seen in the loading time, it takes almost 20 seconds to load all the icons and stuff. Interestingly enough, there is no LoadProgress at the bottom of the screen when running distributed .exe package, and I have no idea how it was disabled. Playing with the game speed slider yields no significant results also, in fact, the change in speed between values 0 and 100 is hardly noticeable at all in Mac binary. Overall wine runs game in a much faster and smoother fashion, it just hard to believe that wine can do better than native.
Compile options seems to be the same for both versions. I've tried both NativeSDL and OpenGL renderers with the same results. Invoked cmake with the CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release option.
The questions is how can I enable fps counter in stratagus, or maybe another ways to investigate this issue? Maybe it just seems to be this way? Maybe there is something wrong with the wine and it runs too fast? Is there any gold standard for how much game cycles should pass on default speed per second?
Kyran

Re: MacOS native binary seems slow

Post by Kyran »

On my Windows 7 machine with a i5 3570K (running at 4GHz) I get about 1000 cycles per 15 seconds (game speed 100).
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
pancho

Re: MacOS native binary seems slow

Post by pancho »

There was some misunderstanding with default SDL backend.
For Wyrmsun there is no check button in the options to use OpenGL, and Mac SDL not using it by default (hmm), while packed SDL.dll does. Passing -O to stratagus binary helps.
In Aleona's Tales, I thought that white state of check button 'Use OpenGL' in the options means 'ON'.

Everything fine now. Using OpenGL have 1000 cycles per 15 seconds in both environments too.