Warcraft II Shareware support?

Wargus is a Warcraft 2 mod that allows you to play Warcraft 2 with the Stratagus engine.
MrFlibble

Warcraft II Shareware support?

Post by MrFlibble »

Some posts here in the forums have led me to believe that Wargus can be used with Warcraft II shareware data. However, when I tried to install Wargus v2.3 with the shareware data files, the installer gave me the message that the shareware data directory is not a valid Warcraft II data folder.

Perhaps I was using an unsupported version of Warcraft II shareware? I tried this with v1.20elc, which to the best of my knowledge is the latest electronic download version. There's also an earlier version, v1.02elc BETA, and an enhanced CD version, v1.08sh. Both electronic download ones are available here.

Or did I get this wrong and the shareware files are not usable with Wargus?
Kyran

Re: Warcraft II Shareware support?

Post by Kyran »

Supporting the shareware version isn't allowed.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Kyran wrote: isn't allowed.
You mean it's not implemented, or that there are some legal objections to it?
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Actually, it's partially implemented - along with beta and press-release support.

The problem is the source for the WarTool data extractor is mostly undocumented and hasn't been worked on in ages. Old binaries execute, but the WarTool source in new releases won't even compile under CMake.

As for permission - this is the first I've heard of it being disallowed. There are no legal barriers in Australia, Canada, the US or the UK preventing it, and other projects, such as Doom and Quake source ports, fully support shareware versions and in fact would not be nearly as popular if they did not.

Essentially the point of view is that this is an open-source project - If something is broken, and you care enough to fix it or improve it, you will not find any opposition here.
snv

Post by snv »

It is possible and it is legal, moreover shareware license even allows unconditional distribution (as long as you don't modify it). AFAIK, shareware package includes most of what the retail includes.

Yet it would likely anger Blizzard even more and they will start DMCA lawsuit against Stratagus, which already circumvents CD copy-protection. I.e. legally speaking stratagus.exe is equivalent to nocd crack for war2.exe.
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

snv wrote:Yet it would likely anger Blizzard even more and they will start DMCA lawsuit against Stratagus, which already circumvents CD copy-protection. I.e. legally speaking stratagus.exe is equivalent to nocd crack for war2.exe.
I'm not sure if it would be that much of a problem. After all, Blizzard officially removed CD check with the recent patches for both StarCraft and Warcraft III. They also used to have the answers for the WarCraft: Orcs & Humans manual copy protection check freely available at their old tech support website.

The only thing I can imagine could be "wrong" with the shareware data is if running it in Wargus would allow to play skirmish games against the AI? The original version only allows two-player games without AI opponents.
snv

Post by snv »

MrFlibble wrote:
snv wrote:Yet it would likely anger Blizzard even more and they will start DMCA lawsuit against Stratagus, which already circumvents CD copy-protection. I.e. legally speaking stratagus.exe is equivalent to nocd crack for war2.exe.
I'm not sure if it would be that much of a problem. After all, Blizzard officially removed CD check with the recent patches for both StarCraft and Warcraft III. They also used to have the answers for the WarCraft: Orcs & Humans manual copy protection check freely available at their old tech support website.

The only thing I can imagine could be "wrong" with the shareware data is if running it in Wargus would allow to play skirmish games against the AI? The original version only allows two-player games without AI opponents.
One thing I can say for sure: supporting shareware version would bring more attention to Stratagus from users and developers. I.e. it has some marketing potential.
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Upvote.