New unit ideas

Wyrmsun is an RTS / Grand Strategy game which features elements of mythology, history and fiction.
b_o

Re: New unit ideas

Post by b_o »

orc with chainmail:
mailorc2.png
mailorc2.png (1.22 KiB) Viewed 9349 times
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Cool :)

This icon by Jinn could conceivably be used for an orc with chainmail (even if it wouldn't fit perfectly):

...and of course, we have shaman and spearthrower icons already:

b_o

Post by b_o »

I could add pauldrons to the chainmail orc to match the icon.

Goblin ship:
gobship.png
gobship.png (8.19 KiB) Viewed 9295 times
The idea is that archers are inside and would shoot flaming arrows.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

b_o wrote: Goblin ship:
gobship.png
The idea is that archers are inside and would shoot flaming arrows.
I like it. cybermind has recently added a way for units to turn to the side just before attacking, which would be useful for a ship unit. The goblin ship could be a transporter, but from which archers within would be able to fire.
TaShadan

Post by TaShadan »

Will Goblins/Orcs be playable soon?
Warcraft 2.5
http://www.moddb.com/mods/warcraft-25
a fast paced Broodwar/Warcraft2 style mod for Warcraft 3 TFT (without heroes)

http://zero.tauniverse.com/
Total Annihilation Conversion with improved graphics, controls and an additional faction.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

TaShadan wrote:Will Goblins/Orcs be playable soon?
I would love to have them playable, but unfortunately they won't be for the foreseeable future. The two playable civilizations already present still need a significant amount of development, like the addition of priests, ships and etc., and making the goblins playable (let alone the orcs) would require a lot of new graphics, such as a goblin stronghold-type building, interface and so forth.
b_o

Post by b_o »

TaShadan wrote:Will Goblins/Orcs be playable soon?
You can already use the map editor to sort of play as goblins. For example, I made a map where you play as rats who need to collect all of the cheese, avoiding traps and attacks in order to win..
rats.png
rats.png (61.58 KiB) Viewed 9272 times
You can also play as goblins in grand strategy mode if you capture their territory.
b_o

Post by b_o »

Here's a sample of gnome cavalry:
sr.gif
sr.gif (3.07 KiB) Viewed 9264 times
I'm not sure if the gnome should look different. Maybe a shield would be appropriate. The snails could easily be recolored for variants. It wouldn't be difficult to make riderless slug versions for something. We could have the snail hide in it's shell during the attack sequence. Or the snail could bite during the attack.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

b_o wrote:Here's a sample of gnome cavalry:
sr.gif
I'm not sure if the gnome should look different. Maybe a shield would be appropriate. The snails could easily be recolored for variants. It wouldn't be difficult to make riderless slug versions for something. We could have the snail hide in it's shell during the attack sequence. Or the snail could bite during the attack.
Pretty nice.

Changing the color of the shell of the snigill (giant snail) would be nice, as the brown of the shell confuses itself a bit with the gnome's clothing. And having a more exotic coloring (such as purple) for the shell would help establish the snigill as a species of its own, instead of being just a giant version of a normal snail. I'm not sure if it's just my impression, but the angle seems a bit off in relation to the other units (it doesn't seem top-downish enough). Maybe the gnome's hat should also be different, so that it doesn't seem too similar to the gnomish recruit. I like the idea of the unit having a shield.
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

I made some audio for a gnome.
Attachments
Herbalist.zip
(389.39 KiB) Downloaded 432 times
HerbalistLoud.zip
(912.96 KiB) Downloaded 438 times
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me