Open Game Art for Wyrmsun

Wyrmsun is an RTS / Grand Strategy game which features elements of mythology, history and fiction.
Kyran

Re: Open Game Art for Wyrmsun

Post by Kyran »

I've been playing with some new menu ideas.
NewMenuAT.png
NewMenuAT.png (915.66 KiB) Viewed 8454 times
NewMenuWyr.png
NewMenuWyr.png (927.26 KiB) Viewed 8454 times
If the Wyrmsun logo were redone like the AT one, it would look really good with this menu.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
snv

Post by snv »

Looks passable, although I do recommend using simpler logo for Wyrmsun - white font with black shadow. That is till somebody draws more professionally looking logo, because cheaply used photoshop effects looks horrible.

Also, I've drawn a wall tile, because Wyrmsun has none.
http://opengameart.org/content/wall-tile-for-stratagus

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

snv wrote:Check http://opengameart.org/content/pocket-heroes-graphics

It has some useful buildings, like guard towers. They're small, but with xbrz and some retouch, you can easily get them into Wyrmsun,

Castle can be adapted too, but requires a lot of retouch (separately for walls, towers and roofs). Still easier than working from scratch.
JIC, a lot of art for this project are plain edits of Heroes of Might and Magic II sprites (and some things apparently aren't even modified at all, or only slightly). The author himself mentions that here.
snv

Post by snv »

MrFlibble wrote: JIC, a lot of art for this project are plain edits of Heroes of Might and Magic II sprites (and some things apparently aren't even modified at all, or only slightly). The author himself mentions that here.
There were some edits, but I've removed them before submission. Some character portraits, like the caped skeleton guy, look similar to HOMM2, but they appears to be drawn from scratch, while nobody can forbid you having a caped skeleton character. Others, like the orthodox church sprite, appears to be drawn by russian artist, so it doesn't look like anything in HOMM2. Other pixelart objects use dithering, while the art direction for HOMM2 never used dithering for map objects. So I totally exclude they were ripped/edited from HOMM2. The creature sprites were all drawn from scratch, although they would be useless for Stratagus, unless somebody animates them.

If you find some edit or recolor I've missed, let me know.
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Well, I have to admit that claiming all art to be edits might have been an overstatement on my part. I must have been thinking of a different version/derivative game (Palm Kingdoms 2?) which IIRC had some quite obvious edits of HoMM2 sprites.

However, there are some portraits in the Pocket Heroes graphics which are definitely based on HoMM2 ones. For example, the barbarian and the wizard with the red cape in the bottom row (here's a sheet with all HoMM2 heroes portraits for comparison). Also the wizard with the green robe and grey cap (shown on this screenshot for example). Even if these portraits were drawn from scratch they are too similar to their HoMM2 counterparts.

Don't get me wrong, I was just tying to say that with art like this it's better to be on the safe side and avoid assets that potentially might infringe some copyright or other.