Events

Wyrmsun is an RTS / Grand Strategy game which features elements of mythology, history and fiction.
b_o

Re: Events

Post by b_o »

nice. Can you make it a choice between two different quests and then have the choice affect the map (placing more or less enemy units, different enemy AI, or load a different map)? Or choose to ally with one of two computer controlled teams so that the main objectives(rather than optional ones) reflect that choice? Speaking of loading different maps, is it possible to pause a map and play a different map, then return to the paused one with an effect to the paused one based on what happened in the other one? For example, you are given the option to allow a footman to explore a goldmine that he walks next to; if you accept, it pauses the map you are on(or saves it) then loads the goldmine interior map with that footman and perhaps any units that may be adjacent, then he may rescue some units or find treasure inside the goldmine interior map, and upon returning to the exit, all of the rescued units and the footman would appear in the map that was paused(or saved, edited, and reloaded).. So basically, can this be used to make an over-world, with access to other maps for caves, buildings, and what Kyran was talking about with Zelda style maps?
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

b_o wrote:So basically, can this be used to make an over-world, with access to other maps for caves, buildings, and what Kyran was talking about with Zelda style maps?
This can be done, though I'd have all the other locations in the same map file, just inaccessible.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
b_o

Post by b_o »

can you make a barrier to block flying units from entering those places? And AI on the overworld can ignore the other locations?
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

It can be done, b_o. Everything can be done. Everything can be done, b_o.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
b_o

Post by b_o »

I mean without recompiling stratagus. How do you make a barrier for air units?
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

b_o wrote:How do you make a barrier for air units?
By using another air unit. Say, a special one that is one tile wide and twenty tiles long. If you want to chat about how to do all this stuff you can join me in the IRC channel.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

b_o wrote:nice. Can you make it a choice between two different quests and then have the choice affect the map (placing more or less enemy units, different enemy AI, or load a different map)?
Placing more or less enemy units is easy, as is setting a different enemy AI (the Greebo quest does both of these, as it creates a new "Greebo" player, gives them a goblin impaler and sets their AI to passive). I'm not sure if loading a different map would work (maybe).

Or choose to ally with one of two computer controlled teams so that the main objectives(rather than optional ones) reflect that choice?
Yes, that is quite doable.
Speaking of loading different maps, is it possible to pause a map and play a different map, then return to the paused one with an effect to the paused one based on what happened in the other one? For example, you are given the option to allow a footman to explore a goldmine that he walks next to; if you accept, it pauses the map you are on(or saves it) then loads the goldmine interior map with that footman and perhaps any units that may be adjacent, then he may rescue some units or find treasure inside the goldmine interior map, and upon returning to the exit, all of the rescued units and the footman would appear in the map that was paused(or saved, edited, and reloaded).. So basically, can this be used to make an over-world, with access to other maps for caves, buildings, and what Kyran was talking about with Zelda style maps?
Kyran's suggestion of placing it all on a single map sounds like the most practical way of implementing that. For the mini-map to not look weird, a solution which could be investigated is de-revealing and re-revealing areas as you switch from interior to exterior places.
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

Andrettin wrote:For the mini-map to not look weird, a solution which could be investigated is de-revealing and re-revealing areas as you switch from interior to exterior places.
You can try creating a large 512 by 512 map and putting everything in it, with the overworld starting at 0, 0. You can then redefine the extents of the map in the smp. This would make the mini-map only show the overworld, but the rest should still be usable.

Maybe. Probably.