Best game to use for research?

Andrettin

Re: Best game to use for research?

Post by Andrettin »

Eggerslolol wrote:
Andrettin wrote: As far as I know, it is possible to set up games in which you have no units but don't lose because of that, and you can also set up the different AI players to be hostile to each other. You need to remove this trigger from the SinglePlayerTriggers() function in stratagus.lua:

Code: Select all

AddTrigger(
		function() return GetPlayerData(GetThisPlayer(), "TotalNumUnits") == 0 end,
		function() return ActionDefeat() end
	)
Then edit the map's .smp file to change the first "person" player into a "computer" one, and add a new "person" player at the end. Play the map in Free for All mode and it should work as you want.
This works! Awesome! Though obviously the map becomes completely fogged but... this'll do for now. Thanks!
I'm glad I was able to help :)

To make the map completely visible, use the cheats:

"showpath" to reveal the map

and

"fow off" to remove the fog of war
Eggerslolol

Post by Eggerslolol »

Andrettin wrote: To make the map completely visible, use the cheats:

"showpath" to reveal the map

and

"fow off" to remove the fog of war
Sounds perfect but I've got no idea how to input cheats! And can't seem to figure it out...
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

While in the game press enter and type on screen. Then click on menu > preferences > fog of war.

In that Wargus scripts archive I linked there are a number of AI vs AI maps in maps/waste/ (such as AT_Test2), you can copy them over and change the AI script (since they are testing AIs that don't ship with AT).
Also while I'm asking questions, will it be possible for me to turn off rendering in order to have the game play out matches with itself very quickly?
To speed up the game without turning off the rendering you can use the cheat 'fast debug' and set the game speed to max. It was possible to disable rendering to test AI, but I haven't seen that done it a long time.

Mm, I don't believe the fast debug command is works anymore. :shock:
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Kyran wrote: Mm, I don't believe the fast debug command is works anymore. :shock:
I don't think it does either, unfortunately (the "make it so" command in Wargus doesn't work too).
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Should be able to use Wargus with the Shareware Warcraft 2
Eggerslolol

Post by Eggerslolol »

Big Daddy wrote:Should be able to use Wargus with the Shareware Warcraft 2
Since I've got Aleona's Tales set up I was just going to stick with that, or is there a reason to switch to Wargus? Is it more documented or have more materials to draw from or anything?
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Eggerslolol wrote:
Big Daddy wrote:Should be able to use Wargus with the Shareware Warcraft 2
Since I've got Aleona's Tales set up I was just going to stick with that, or is there a reason to switch to Wargus? Is it more documented or have more materials to draw from or anything?
As I understand it, the main advantages Wargus has over Aleona's Tales are the nicer graphics and sounds and the complete campaign. But for AI and other such functional matters, as far as I know Aleona's Tales is more developed.
Eggerslolol

Post by Eggerslolol »

Right, just diving back into this and trying to get serious about it. As suggested I'm going to be trying this and this to get to grips with AI scripting, though honestly I find trying to get into all of this a bit overwhelming.

Breaking down my objectives for the very near future:
- find a way to run games without rendering/very quickly
- get AIs using the scripts I tell them to use (ie gain understanding of using the engine)
- Figure some way to measure performance/record the results of games

I'm sure all of this will be possible one way or another, but if anyone could lead me on the right path for any of this I'd appreciate it.

I've had a lot of tips already but as I'm just now looking at this for the first time since last year, any additional help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

Here is the latest trunk release. It includes the AI Wars game mode, which lets you easily select which AIs will fight. It should include all the other optional files we've linked previously. Just copy and past it into your Aleona's Tales or Wargus directory, overwriting the files.

Back up your game directory first though.

ImageImage
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
Enker-Zan

Post by Enker-Zan »

Kyran, there is a problem with extracting the files, I always come up with an error saying "unable to create file" every time I try. :-(