Welcome!

Kyran

Welcome!

Post by Kyran »

Here is a forum for lobby development. Hint hint, nudge nudge. :) What would be neat is if we could have an IRC overlay like in UFO:AI that comes down by pressing ~. Hey, I can dream, right?
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
Kyran

Re: Welcome!

Post by Kyran »

I've added a lot of old information to the Stratagus Wiki. The stuff about the old metaserver was interesting.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
cybermind

Post by cybermind »

I just have moved all metaserver functions to Lua using tolua++ and registered an user on metaserver while ingame :) . So, it's possible to write a metaserver client on Lua, which will be controlled by in-game GUI. The only problem is, we will need soon a permanent metaserver :D (I hope things will go happily in that way)
cybermind

Post by cybermind »

Currently metaserver supports:
-users registration, login
-game creation, joining, starting, ending
So that is very basic functionality
Currently used protocol is here: http://stratagus.com/wiki/stratagus-wik ... -protocol/
What we will need in future:
-chatting
-user rankings(don't forget about cheating, as mentioned on the wiki)
-more security - database could be easily flooded with users, as registration is instant(captcha? :))
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

We could connect to someone else metaserver. :) I was thinking maybe SRB2's.

Could you attach the Lua files you've updated so I can check them out?
21:52 Kurglar There is a lot of stuff in the strat wiki about a lobby protocol being in Stratagus. Was it actually implemented or was it just a design spec?
21:53 feb A (crappy) client was once implemented
21:53 feb but we didn't have a server
21:53 feb After that we wrote the protocol of another one
21:54 feb I remember I had a server. So I guess, it client support existed at one time
21:55 feb But a decent lobby needs to be written and it can use the protocol defined on the wiki
21:56 Kurglar I was thinking of just being very lazy, and having a simple HTML page displayed when you click Join Game, and you have to type in one of the IPs that come up. :)
21:57 Kurglar Or, do what UFO:AI does and have an IRC client come up, so you can ask for the IP. :)
21:58 feb here is the server I once wrote: http://users.teledisnet.be/web/fbe03731/ogs.py.txt
21:58 feb 2003-2004. hmm, that's old
22:01 Kurglar You're old.
22:01 Kurglar <3
22:01 feb thanks
22:03 feb http://www.boswars.org/wiki/index.php?n ... erProtocol is very easy to implement
22:04 Kurglar So you remember having it, but you don't remember it ever working?
22:04 feb some opensource generic lobbies should exist
22:05 Kurglar Wow, thats just like the one here: http://stratagus.com/wiki/stratagus-wik ... -protocol/
22:05 Kurglar crazy!
22:06 Kurglar I'll keep Bos Land updated on any progress, or lack thereof.
22:07 feb that's the same text they copied over.
22:07 feb didn't know stratagus created a new wiki
22:08 Kurglar Yeah, its just BOS Wars wiki.
22:09 Kurglar Without the bos wars
22:10 Kurglar I've found an IRC framework written in LUA. That might work.
22:10 feb ow, that ogs.py code is ugly. It hurts. :-(
22:11 Kurglar I could implment this framework in the LUA scripts so that you can sent and receive game information using an IRC channel.
22:11 Lightkey Lua is not an abbreviation
22:11 Kurglar Lightkey, were you feeling left out?
22:12 Kurglar Is the Bos in Bos wars an abbreviation?
22:12 feb the proposal by jim4 used IRC
22:12 Lightkey ?_?
22:13 Lightkey does that matter?
22:14 Kurglar ^
22:16 Lightkey it's not about whether it's an abbreviation or not, Bos is part of a name, so they get to write it as they want, just like Lua is not LUA..
22:16 Kurglar "Jim4 created a new protocol and started implementing it. It’s documented here: http://stratagus.game-host.org:8080/fc/protocol.txt He’s currently implementing it."
22:16 Kurglar That mythical protocol.txt
22:16 Kurglar Lost to the sands of time.
22:16 Kurglar And Jim4's harddrive.
22:18 Kurglar My figures always type three letter words I'm not familiar in capitals. I've only just starting calling BOS Bos. :)
22:18 Kurglar fingers*
22:23 feb should be bos wars :)
22:23 feb or Bos Wars.
22:23 feb maybe archive.org has it
22:23 Kurglar Tried already.
22:24 Kurglar archieve.org is the default place to go for anything Stratagus. :)
22:24 feb lol
22:24 feb you've found much that way ?
22:24 Kurglar Any cons with developing the client in Lua?
22:24 Kurglar Yeah, Freecraft stuff mainly. :D
22:25 feb once used debian to get back old source code of our own project
22:26 Kurglar Seems I can try to use LuaSocket to support TCP UDP.
22:26 feb I can't say now if lua would be the correct place to implement the client protocol
22:27 feb just need to be careful that the whole thing is secure enough
22:29 Kurglar Mm, interesting thought. If I'm using IRC as the back end, and I only allow specific parameters to be received...
22:29 Kurglar Well, I won't have to worry about that until it's ready for prime time. :D
22:42 Pali left
23:13 Kurglar Hey feb, do you know if the Lua implementation sports LuaSocket?
23:14 feb the one in bos does not have it
23:14 feb it's probably a seperate module you can add
cybermind

Post by cybermind »

Well, I haven't made so much :) The only thing done is in-game submenu, which replaces Multiplayer game button and shows a text box, where you input the commands, Send button, and text label showing the metaserver reply
cybermind

Post by cybermind »

I've moved all metaserver functions into a class and made it available througn Lua. See the last trunk revision for it. Now it's time for small Lua client
P.S Ah, yes, the "mysterious Jimmy's protocol" is on our wiki, as I've mentioned: http://stratagus.com/wiki/stratagus-wik ... r-protocol and it's currently used in Stratagus(just look at the source files in metaserver folder, there isn't feb's name but Jimmy's :) )
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

I've been thinking about what to use for the server. I was thinking either IRC or an existing one. I've checked out SRB2's master server, it looks really nice. Haven't found any information about how clients specifically query it, just some general stuff about the Doom Network protocol.

SRB2 is based on Legacy, so all clients supporting Legacy should support SRB2. I know Doom Connector supports SRB2.
cybermind

Post by cybermind »

For the first time I want to use modify Stratagus's own meta server, it will be pretty simple(just console window and nothing more)
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

I've used Doom Connector for years.... it rocks my socks.