gul'dan/warlock/necrolyte

Got resources you'd like to share? Want to request some help with scripting or graphic creation? Then this is the place to be.
b_o

gul'dan/warlock/necrolyte

Post by b_o »

Here's Gul'dan, the warlock and necrolyte, I haven't tested these yet, I still need to make the animation code. But I thought I'd post these here now in case anyone wanted to mess with them before I get them totally finished. When I update these, I'll edit this first post to include the newest versions. I'm thinking about adding a belt to them, and maybe a skull on the necrolyte staff, does that seem necessary?
ImageImage
Warlock Icon
Warlock Icon
wlicon.png (1.62 KiB) Viewed 10654 times
Warlock
Warlock
wl.png (23.88 KiB) Viewed 10667 times
ImageImage
Necrolyte Icon
Necrolyte Icon
nlicon.png (1.7 KiB) Viewed 10647 times
Necrolyte
Necrolyte
nl.png (23.56 KiB) Viewed 10667 times
Gul'dan with no team colors.
Gul'dan with no team colors.
guldan.png (23.57 KiB) Viewed 10636 times
Here are the WC1 orc sounds for those:download/file.php?id=299
And a wc1 temple for the necrolytes:
SummerImageWastelandImageWinterImageSwampImage
Last edited by b_o on Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Andrettin

Re: warlock/necrolyte

Post by Andrettin »

Great stuff! I tested the Warlock graphics in-game (using Mage animations), and except for the last death frame not having a team-colored robe, it worked without any issues.
b_o

Re: warlock/necrolyte

Post by b_o »

Andrettin wrote:Great stuff! I tested the Warlock graphics in-game (using Mage animations), and except for the last death frame not having a team-colored robe, it worked without any issues.
Glad to hear there was no jitter. About the last death frame, that is how it was in WC1. The spearman is the same way. It could be changed of course. I wasn't totally sure if it was supposed to represent decay of the clothing or the removal of team affiliation at death. I thought it was interesting to see the spearman without team colors, and would kind of like to have played WC1 with natural colors rather than team colors after noticing the death frames some time ago.
Kargath

Re: gul'dan/warlock/necrolyte

Post by Kargath »

They're simply beautiful!!
b_o

Post by b_o »

Here's some wc1 orc sounds which could be used for these units so they won't sound exactly like the other orcs:
wc1osnds.zip
wc1 orc sounds
(241.41 KiB) Downloaded 561 times
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Nice icons! :) The Necrolyte one, in particular, is excellent.
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

There was a War3 mod aimed at recreating Warcraft 1 called "Dawn of Chaos". It had different voices for every unit, perhaps we can use it if they sounds good (IMO they sound good) if we have the permission of the author.
b_o

Post by b_o »

Here is the poison cloud spell graphics for the warlock, it would use similar code to the whirlwind, but with slower animation, and the cloud is 64*64:
poison cloud
poison cloud
cloud2b.png (9.84 KiB) Viewed 10616 times
poison cloud icon
poison cloud icon
cicon.png (1.35 KiB) Viewed 10613 times
I used a couple of blue's since the wc2 palette only has 4 purples.
Last edited by b_o on Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

Yeah, I see you are on a creative spree lately, I like a lot your works. I would like to see a rider, because he was never released in a proper way during War2 modding years.
b_o

Post by b_o »

Kargath wrote:...I would like to see a rider, because he was never released in a proper way during War2 modding years.
I don't know. This is sort of how I'd like to do it if I did do it:
Potential Raider
Potential Raider
raider.png (1.75 KiB) Viewed 10609 times
It would be a lot of work, which I'm not sure that I'm up to at this moment. I'll probably finish Medivh and then maybe work on the wounded, or modify jinns lumber mill for the other tilesets next. I was thinking about making the clerics after that and maybe finishing the church or doing an orc temple, though I wish Jinn would do those buildings. I barely started to work on the crossbowman, but it's animation sequence was confusing so I sort of gave up on that one. I also don't like the head of the Lothar GFX and I want to make it match the icon better. The paladin seems sort of beyond repair, since it was a mixture of the alpha knight, and wc2 knight. But I could probably easily stick the paladin shield on the alpha knight if nobody minds the alpha horses face. The problem with the raider is that it's not just an orc, it has a wolf as well, so it's about twice as difficult as converting something else from wc1. It's not really a matter of merely smoothing out pixels, but rather redrawing new detail on top. I thought about using the wolf from my non-stratagus game as a foundation for a new wolf rider:
goblin wolf rider
goblin wolf rider
gwride.gif (4.86 KiB) Viewed 10609 times
It would probably be easier, but I'd really rather make it look more like the original. There is also the option to use Fronzel's wolf as a foundation, though it has no death sequence:
fronzel's wolf
fronzel's wolf
wolf.png (1.14 KiB) Viewed 10609 times
It would be nice to have some riderless wolves, though they should ideally match the wolves of the raiders. We could have the kennels produce wolves which roam like critters and are uncontrollable, but attack enemies nearby.