WIP Suggestions

WIP aims to Wargus, while maintaining the game's ambience and gameplay experience.
b_o

Re: WIP Suggestions

Post by b_o »

Kargath wrote:My WIP of a WC1 orc skeleton: I'm not an expert with graphics, absolutely not, and my first after 15 years. Of course it still needs improvement: colored background and some touches. Tell me your honest opinion
It does seem like the wc1 one: Image. A worthy attempt. I would like to see more. The most important complaint is that you've saved it as a JPG. NEVER USE JPG!!! The moment you saved it as JPG, you've corrupted the image and now there are several stray pixels. The background should be black, but the JPG format randomly added randomly colored pixels which you can see if you zoom in. Wargus uses PNG, and PNG is good. I'd probably remove the tooth that looks like its growing out of the cheek, and maybe adjust the angle of the horns to reflect the angle of the head, and add some more hat to the top left to match the diameter of the skull. You could also add a studded shoulder-pad to the right if you wanted.
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

I still have the image in bmp format, so I can save it again to pgn. I'll try to work on it this afternoon.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Kargath wrote:My WIP of a WC1 orc skeleton: I'm not an expert with graphics, absolutely not, and my first after 15 years. Of course it still needs improvement: colored background and some touches. Tell me your honest opinion
I think it looks nice, but it could still do with some improvements. I have some suggestions:

1. The angle of the helmet looks a bit off to me, it looks like it should be rotated a bit more.
2. It would be better if the helmet's lower part transitioned better to the skull.
3. As b_o said, it is very important not to save it as a JPG.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

b_o wrote:You could use the wc2 pre-alpha version elven archer icon. seen here: download/file.php?id=152
It could be modified to look more like the mage like this:
elfmage.png
I think it looks a bit unrefined compared to the default WC2 icons, but is much better than any other icons we have for representation of an elven mage or priest. Thanks for posting it!
Which one is the default?
Death Coil.
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

I'm trying a different method, see the preview here, I need to change his teeth with better ones
Attachments
skel2.png
skel2.png (3.84 KiB) Viewed 7590 times
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

When peasants/peons repair buildings you hear the same sound when they chop lumber. Why don't add a proper sound? For example the War3 repair sound will fit perfectly. Also why don't make flying machines/zeppelins repairable?
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Kargath wrote:When peasants/peons repair buildings you hear the same sound when they chop lumber. Why don't add a proper sound? For example the War3 repair sound will fit perfectly.
I think that it would be better if we didn't incorporate sounds from WC3, in order to minimize copyright issues (specially considering WC3 is a newer game that still has commercial value).
Also why don't make flying machines/zeppelins repairable?
I had thought of that, but assumed the peasants couldn't reach them. I tested it now and it works! This will feature in the next WIP version.
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

Andrettin wrote:
Kargath wrote:When peasants/peons repair buildings you hear the same sound when they chop lumber. Why don't add a proper sound? For example the War3 repair sound will fit perfectly.
I think that it would be better if we didn't incorporate sounds from WC3, in order to minimize copyright issues (specially considering WC3 is a newer game that still has commercial value).
Also why don't make flying machines/zeppelins repairable?
I had thought of that, but assumed the peasants couldn't reach them. I tested it now and it works! This will feature in the next WIP version.
Are you sure? Me and some boys recreated Starcraft 1 in Starcraft 2 and used every sound, music, artwork etc... and even posted on blizzard official forum, a guy from Blizzard itself liked our project, but maybe with War3 is different, don't know. Backing to the project, don't know if this is the right thread but I've got an idea: in some Warcraft 1 missions, you fight different orc bases but they've got all the same colors. Why don't put a different color for every base, representing the various clans present during first Azeroth invasion, other than Blackrock there were Twilight's Hammer, Bleeding Hollow, Dragonmaw. I'm not sure about Burning Blade and Stomreaver. Blacktooth Grin was founded shortly before Warcraft 2 so they were not present in War1.
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

Recreating Starcraft 1 in Starcraft 2 is different from recreating Starcraft 2 in Starcraft 1.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
b_o

Post by b_o »

Isn't unholy armor supposed to cause some damage to the unit it's cast on?
Spiders/scorpions should be faster.
You could include wc2 cheat codes.
When I use the editor to add an orc lumber mill, I'm not able to see spear upgrade options.

What I'd really like to see is the ability to access all of the wc1 stuff in any map with just a peasant/peon.
so a peon could build both an orc and troll lumber mill, etc. and spearmen should be buildable at a barracks if you have either of those lumber mills. So if you want to, you can build trolls and spearmen side by side. The spearmen should cost less than the trolls obviously. Same scenario with warlocks/necrolytes. I'd like to be able to build them along side deathknights and ogres. I don't like the 'either/or' scenario as much as the 'everythings available' scenario. If limitations are needed in the campaign it would be nice to only have the limitations in those campaign maps rather than as the default for non-campaign maps.