WIP Suggestions

WIP aims to Wargus, while maintaining the game's ambience and gameplay experience.
b_o

WIP Suggestions

Post by b_o »

WIP suggestions:

Team colors for unit icons.

Upgrades visible in some units buttons: (i.e. Catapult/Ballista uses upgrade icons for attack button instead of standard sword & upgraded armor visible in stop botton)

Bow icon for archer attack button.
Andrettin

Re: WIP Suggestions

Post by Andrettin »

b_o wrote:WIP suggestions:

Team colors for unit icons.
Unfortunately, I think that can't be done through lua; it would need to be a change in Stratagus itself.
Upgrades visible in some units buttons: (i.e. Catapult/Ballista uses upgrade icons for attack button instead of standard sword & upgraded armor visible in stop botton)
This would be a nice change, but the issue is that we only have icons for the weapon levels 2 and 3 of the catapult and the ballista, but not for the un-upgraded attack. I could make the attack button of the Ballista (for instance) use the sword for its un-upgraded level, and use the two upgrade icons for the upgraded levels, but it might be a bit strange to first have a sword as the icon, and later ballista bolts.

The armor icon in the stop button for the Catapults and Ballistas is now fixed, it no longer changes with shield upgrades (since Ballistas/Catapults don't benefit from them).
Bow icon for archer attack button.
Fixed now, as well as for the trolls and the archer/axethrower heroes.

The option for disabling pathlines which you had talked about previously has also been added.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

Agree with team colored icons, even if this, like you said, has to do with Stratagus itself and not Wargus. I'd suggest an option to remove green path line and messages from the menu options instead of editing files inside the folder, this will be easier for newer users.
b_o

Post by b_o »

Andrettin wrote:Unfortunately, I think that can't be done through lua; it would need to be a change in Stratagus itself.
in stratagus.lua it says:

Code: Select all

--  If color-cycle-all is off (#f) only the tileset palette is color cycled.
-- Otherwise (#t) all palettes are color cycled.
SetColorCycleAll(true)
ClearAllColorCyclingRange()
AddColorCyclingRange(38, 47) -- water
AddColorCyclingRange(205, 207) -- building
AddColorCyclingRange(240, 244) -- icon
So all palettes are not color cycled with SetColorCycleAll(true)? perhaps this should be mentioned in the stratagus 2.2.8 suggestions thread.
Andrettin wrote:This would be a nice change, but the issue is that we only have icons for the weapon levels 2 and 3 of the catapult and the ballista, but not for the un-upgraded attack. I could make the attack button of the Ballista (for instance) use the sword for its un-upgraded level, and use the two upgrade icons for the upgraded levels, but it might be a bit strange to first have a sword as the icon, and later ballista bolts.
What about adding some modified icons like this?:
icons
icons
ammo.png (3.72 KiB) Viewed 9707 times
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Kargath wrote:[...] I'd suggest an option to remove green path line and messages from the menu options instead of editing files inside the folder, this will be easier for newer users.
Done :)
b_o wrote: in stratagus.lua it says:

--  If color-cycle-all is off (#f) only the tileset palette is color cycled.
-- Otherwise (#t) all palettes are color cycled.
SetColorCycleAll(true)
ClearAllColorCyclingRange()
AddColorCyclingRange(38, 47) -- water
AddColorCyclingRange(205, 207) -- building
AddColorCyclingRange(240, 244) -- icon
So all palettes are not color cycled with SetColorCycleAll(true)? perhaps this should be mentioned in the stratagus 2.2.8 suggestions thread.
Color cycling and team color are two different things; color cycling is how the water tile "animations" are done, for instance: the colors in the palette in the color cycling range are rotated amongst themselves and in order. Color cycling works for tiles, units, and even icons. Team color, however, at the moment works only for units, but not for icons.
What about adding some modified icons like this?:
ammo.png
Maybe I've missed something, but except for the last one, all of those are either default icons or resized default icons? In any case, the idea of the last icon is interesting, of using serrated ballista bolts as an upgrade icon.
b_o

Post by b_o »

Andrettin wrote:Maybe I've missed something, but except for the last one, all of those are either default icons or resized default icons? In any case, the idea of the last icon is interesting, of using serrated ballista bolts as an upgrade icon.
The second ballista one only has the tip resized. The idea was to show a possible range of buttons, and not necessarily to use those exact ones, of which there are too many. I kind of like the fireball icon for the catapult attack though since the projectile sprite is on fire . but it's not ideal to have identical buttons for two different things. It would be interesting to let the catapult use the mage fireball spell as a special attack, and to make the regular projectile not on fire.
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

For ballista I'd use:

pic 1 for standard attack instead of sword
pic 3 for upgrade 1
pic 4 for upgrade 2

Is possible to add tilesets to existing ones? I mean, adding hell, desert, rainforest tilesets (the ones made by Cameron during old WC2 mod days), increasing the tilesets number from 4 to 7?
jarod42

Post by jarod42 »

Player colors for unit icons:
It can be possible,
change

icon.G = CGraphic:New
by

icon.G = CPlayerColorGraphic:New
(just commited in wargus)
I have also just commited a fix in stratagus for some missing location.

Add other tilesets:
It is possible.
I suggest to search all occurrences of an existing one to see where to do the modifications
Last edited by jarod42 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replace Team by Player
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

Other suggestion/bugs:

- An option to increase/decrease the keyboard speed scroll (is too fast)
- An option to show/not shows damage on units/buildings
- When you right click an enemy unit with peon/peasants they don't attack it like in War2
- When you right click with sappers/demolition team they attack instead of exploding like in War2
- When you demolish with dwarven demolition team on a tree they attack the trees, the trees got destroyed but the dwarven remains alive (not tested with sappers)
- Orc03 of Beyond The Dark Portal it's......impossible!! You get attacked immediately by grunts
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

jarod42 wrote:Player colors for unit icons:
It can be possible,
change

icon.G = CGraphic:New
by

icon.G = CPlayerColorGraphic:New
(just commited in wargus)
I have also just commited a fix in stratagus for some missing location.
I just tried that, but it doesn't seem to work. Maybe the functioning of "CPlayerColorGraphic" is a feature that has been incorporated in the Stratagus development version, but that wasn't present in 2.2.7?