WIP Suggestions

WIP aims to Wargus, while maintaining the game's ambience and gameplay experience.
Andrettin

Re: WIP Suggestions

Post by Andrettin »

b_o wrote:If the spider, scorpion, and greenslime were added to the wip, I wouldn't have to add them to mine with every update.
I'm working on adding them; the spider is already in, and the others will soon too. Thanks for making them, they will be nice additions to WIP.

In any case, any changes can now be maintained across WIP versions (as long as new versions don't break such changes) by making a mod in the /wip/mods/ folder with those changes included, and then loading the mod with the "Load Mod" function (mods are just .lua files which are loaded through the Load Mod function). The only difference between this and adding it to the normal files is that it doesn't get loaded automatically on game start.
Is the Preference.ShowOrders = 0 switch accessible in game somewhere?
Yes, through the "Disable Pathlines" option in the options menu (it is only accessibly through the menu though, and not during a mission - is that what you meant?).
Also, it would be nice if the options\preferences were available in the main screen options; it would be nice to be able to adjust the volume before starting a level.
That would be good indeed, but I'm not sure if we have enough space (since the options need to show up in 640x480 as well)?
EDIT: Aren't the 'deathcoil' and 'death and decay' icons mixed up? They are shown to be different here: http://www.wowwiki.com/Warcraft_II_abilities
I checked and you are correct. This is fixed now.
Maybe incorporate some of the unused spells:

Hallucinate:Image This was supposed to create temporary illusions of orcs which wouldn't cause damage but would draw attacks away from the real troops.

Dark Vision:Image The necrolytes would get this; basically the same as holy vision.

Not sure what this is: Image Perhaps could be used as something for the clerics, different type of heal, holy lance equivalent, resist fire, or fire barrier(runes equivalent)?

Search for oil: Image Could be used for something else?
Thanks for posting those! (I hadn't seen the Dark Vision one previously, I think)

I'm not sure if Hallucinate as such would be possible to implement in Wargus. But maybe we could use the icon for something else? Implementing Dark Vision is, of course, great for the WC1 recreation, and should be rather easy to do. Should it have a different sound than "Holy Vision"?

The third icon could be used for an "Inner Fire" spell (as the elven priest in WC3 has), slightly boosting both damage and armor. It could be the elven equivalent for healing in scenarios where elves are prominent (i.e. Fall of Quel'thalas).

The fourth icon would be a good fit for a new spell or upgrade, I imagine.
b_o

Post by b_o »

Andrettin wrote: Yes, through the "Disable Pathlines" option in the options menu (it is only accessibly through the menu though, and not during a mission - is that what you meant?).
yes, I didn't realize where it was located since I didn't see it during a mission.
Andrettin wrote:I'm not sure if Hallucinate as such would be possible to implement in Wargus.
Hallucinate shouldn't be a problem. Make a new unit which is an orc with zero damage and has a decay rate shorter than the eye of kilrogg, and a fade to nothing death sequence in the gfx. Or, the orc illusion gfx can be made to look like an obvious illusion by making a grid of transparent pixels in it if wargus doesn't support alpha channel translucence . Duplicate of the eye of kilrogg spell, but have it produce produce a few of the new orc units instead of the floating eye. The same concept of summoning could be used for scorpions/spiders. If peon hops are possible in wargus, then creating multiple units(like the eye of kilrogg) in one spot shouldn't be a problem, as they would 'hop' to the nearest free location. Otherwise some code from the runes spell could be borrowed to place an array of units.
Andrettin wrote:Implementing Dark Vision is, of course, great for the WC1 recreation, and should be rather easy to do. Should it have a different sound than "Holy Vision"?
There was a generic spell sound in wc1 for dark vision, but perhaps something better can be found from wc3?
Andrettin wrote:The third icon could be used for an "Inner Fire" spell (as the elven priest in WC3 has)...
Do you have an elf priest gfx in mind? the modified troll?
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

There is a elf mage gfx in elfcraft.
b_o

Post by b_o »

Perhaps the slime should be summonable for Medivh(as I thought they were present in his tower, thoguh I may be mistaken), and maybe for gul'dan as well since he is supposed to be powerful. It could function similar to spider summoning for warlocks. And much like the peons ability to have another menu to build advanced structures, warlocks and magic using heros could potentially be able to perform advanced spells( the additional menu would give them a larger number of spells). It would make sense that warlocks would have the same spells as in wc1, but with the new discoveries of the shadow council at the end of wc1, it would also make sense that they would get more spells rather than less. I'm still working on the warlock/necrolyte/gul'dan gfx, and I think I could modify it for Medihv as well.\
Kargath wrote:There is a elf mage gfx in elfcraft.
You should convert it for wargus and stick it in the resources forum.
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

I'll try to convert to Wargus when I finish some war 1 maps (almost finished) and my first war2 icon after 15 years (I'm trying to do a War1 skeleton orc)
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

I have the elven mage extracted already (although I still need to put it into a proper Wargus-compatible sprite sheet):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/173 ... Weaver.bmp

The unit looks quite well, the issue is that there is no suitable icon for it, as far as I know, otherwise I would already have added it to WIP.

Dark Vision has been added as a spell (right now it is a replacement for the Death Coil, which can be activated depending on the scenario).
b_o

Post by b_o »

Andrettin wrote:The unit looks quite well, the issue is that there is no suitable icon for it, as far as I know, otherwise I would already have added it to WIP.
You could use the wc2 pre-alpha version elven archer icon. seen here: download/file.php?id=152
It could be modified to look more like the mage like this:
icon
icon
elfmage.png (1.53 KiB) Viewed 8225 times
The elf mage should be able to summon scorpions and water elementals.
Andrettin wrote:Dark Vision has been added as a spell (right now it is a replacement for the Death Coil, which can be activated depending on the scenario).
Which one is the default?
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

In Elfcraft there is an icon for that mage, but maybe he's not good enough, since is basically the War2 Elven Archer with white hair, blue eyes. There is an undead elven archer in that mod, if someone wants to add even War3 heroes can be used for Sylvanas Windrunner. Oh, about Sylvanas: we can have an alive version by using the elven ranger gfx and as icon a modified Alleria icon.
b_o

Post by b_o »

Andrettin wrote:
Search for oil: Image Could be used for something else?
...would be a good fit for a new spell or upgrade, I imagine.
How about using this for a spell for an elf, or cleric which would transfer mana to another unit? A hero elf mage might get a unique spell which requires more mana than they normally have, and lesser elf mages could aid them in casting it by boosting their mana. Or one could transfer mana to a paladin or cleric who could then heal more, etc. It could be called something like 'communal blessing' or something. Basically a heal spell which restores mana instead of health. It might also be used to potentially prolong the the life of a summoned creature since their decay bar is kind of like a mana bar.
Last edited by b_o on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

My WIP of a WC1 orc skeleton: I'm not an expert with graphics, absolutely not, and my first after 15 years. Of course it still needs improvement: colored background and some touches. Tell me your honest opinion
Attachments
W1OrcSkeletonWIP.jpg
W1OrcSkeletonWIP.jpg (2.4 KiB) Viewed 8210 times