WIP - Wargus Improvement Project

WIP aims to Wargus, while maintaining the game's ambience and gameplay experience.
Andrettin

Re: WIP - Wargus Improvement Project

Post by Andrettin »

WIP 1.6 Released

Changes:

* Campaigns
- OrcX04: The base spells now begin researched for this scenario.
- OrcX06: The base spells now begin researched for this scenario.
- OrcX09: The violet player now correctly has a knight, rather than a paladin.

* Misc
- Added many of the WC1 cheat codes.

* Units
- The Scorpion's piercing damage is now 3, as per War1gus.
- Fixed a bug where special units would be available on custom games depending on the campaign scenarios played.
- Increased the speed of the Scorpion and the Spider, to be more inline with their WC1 speed.
- Knight graphics improved.
- The Warlock can now be trained in custom games.
- The Scorpion and the Spider now use the "punch" sound when attacking, rather than the Grunt attack one.
- Critters now correctly display their specific death sound.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Big Daddy wrote:Think a Stratagus Wiki would be right smart
I think that would be a good idea, as well.
Stratagus
Site Admin

Post by Stratagus »

Would something like this suffice?
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

It won my heart with an immediate reference to Monty Python
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

I've got a question regarding War1: will it be a remake of the first using better icons/gfx and warcraft 2 as base but keeping original stuff (road system, same building dimensions etc..)? I hope it will be a reproduction of the first with better graphics.
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

You can't improve the graphics if you keep the original dimensions. My impression is that the improved War1 stuff will seamlessly merge with the War2 stuff.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Kyran wrote:You can't improve the graphics if you keep the original dimensions. My impression is that the improved War1 stuff will seamlessly merge with the War2 stuff.
That is indeed my idea.

Furthermore, we have neither road tile graphics, not 96x96 Town Hall ones. If we had those graphics, and someone develops code for a WC1-like road system, I could add it as an option in WIP, though.
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

That would be really great.
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

I can't imagine a check when placing a building would be difficult to institute.

Checks to ensure that the area intended for placement either borders or contains one road tile.

In War1 you were able to build on top of roads, right?
b_o

Post by b_o »

Yes, you could build on top of roads, but enemy roads were not considered roads to your team.
I'm wondering if "rain of fire" can be recreated in wargus. It seemed to have semi random placement of fireballs in a large area, and the fireballs had an area of effect damage upon impact. What was nice was that it was slow enough that it was possible to to move some units out of the way of a fireball which you could see falling from the sky, so it was only effective on large groups of units, unlike blizzard and death&decay. It also had a very large area of effect, and it was nice to see armies marching through it with explosions all around and with some units still being unharmed. You could cast it on the ground and let the splash damage break up enemy formations without being in catapult range. Formations is the other thing I was wondering about. In wc1, when you selected a row of units and moved them, they stayed in that row formation, and even if they were interrupted by obstacles they ended up in the same row formation when they arrived at their destination. Is that possible to put into wargus?