Bos Wars community

BOS Wars is a RTS game that features a dynamic rate based economy. Energy is produced by power plants and magma gets pumped from hot spots. Units and structures are also built at a continuous rate.
Lmoy

Bos Wars community

Post by Lmoy »

There doesn't appear to be a community of any description for Bos wars, which is somewhat saddening seeing as it has quite a lot of potential. Is there anywhere at all in which to share user-made content? I mean, there's this forum, but there's so far only three Bos wars topics :p
Kyran

Re: Bos Wars community

Post by Kyran »

There is nothing outside the forum. This is the community!

Joking aside the only official place to talk about BOS Wars is the chat room here: irc://irc.freenode.net/bos

If you make any content you can submit it here: http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?group=stratagus-bos

Of course you can also talk about BOS Wars and share content here. We have the technology!
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
Lmoy

Post by Lmoy »

Ah, fantastic. Thank you.
Lmoy

Post by Lmoy »

Also, what ever became of the Swindler campaign? Is it still just limited to the first mission, or has any progress been made?
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

There just isn't anyone that wants to work on it. An outline was put together for it. I was even working on some missions which could be merged into it. I might go back and work on them one day, but right now I'm focusing on Aleona's Tales.

If you want to make some more missions for the campaign, I'm sure they'd get included in the next release.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

A community for Battle of Survival Wars?

Isn't that the Stratagus mod that the devs abandonded Wargus for? Causing interest in the project to plummet, and bugs to nary get fixed for almost a decade?
jarod42

Post by jarod42 »

Bos is a data set and a fork of stratagus where all stuff not used for this game has been removed to speed development.
Most dev abandonned stratagus for working on Bos.
andy_5995

Post by andy_5995 »

Kyran wrote:There is nothing outside the forum. This is the community!

Joking aside the only official place to talk about BOS Wars is the chat room here: irc://irc.freenode.net/bos

If you make any content you can submit it here: http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?group=stratagus-bos

Of course you can also talk about BOS Wars and share content here. We have the technology!
Also, there is a mailing list, which is mentioned on the development page of the BosWars web site.

I joined yesterday, and posted to it, so apparently it's not a moderated-developer-only list.

A few days ago, I created ##boswars-lobby on Freenode, thinking that because BosWars doesn't have a multi-player lobby built into it, a user-created one may help players find each other easier.

A while back, I wrote a guide on how to set up a dedicated BosWars server. It's not very hard to do, just involves more steps than normal.

But yes, I noticed too that there's not really a BosWars community. I've been following the game for about four years, played several different dev snapshots and releases, but this is the first time I've come across this forum. On the Bos web site, there really is not link to a forum for the game is there?

Which is unfortunate, because every time I read a post by a bos user about the game, often I see that people have enjoyed the game, and think it has a lot of potential. Sure a few maps don't work very well when played online, but my nephews and I have enjoyed many hours playing this game on a home LAN.

I've built the latest development snapshot and built it on Linux (sorry, I can't help much with Windows, I lack the knowledge) two days ago. There are more campaigns now (I haven't tried them yet), and more maps.