Wargus Warcraft 1 Recreation

WIP aims to Wargus, while maintaining the game's ambience and gameplay experience.
DinkyDyeAussie

Re: Wargus Warcraft 1 Recreation

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

Ok, so I finally got around to making a new tileset for the Orc Campaign...It's early days yet but so far the results are pretty positive IMO, let me know for sure if you think my efforts suck and I will try harder.

This shot is of the first level of the Warcraft 1 Campaign being remade under wargus with WIP mod.
New UI and New Tileset
New UI and New Tileset
screen05.png (311.47 KiB) Viewed 11946 times
b_o

Post by b_o »

shouldn't the water be green in that tileset?
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

I'll get to that soon man. Anything else you think needs improving?
b_o

Post by b_o »

I think it would be nice if there were different dirt shades. The original seemed to have more shades of ground than WC2.
Perhaps you could make 3 shades of dirt?

Also, if you want to match the original more closely, you could make one more crater tile with two small craters on it, as well as some tiles with small grey rocks, and some trail tiles similar to these, but designed for the tileset you are using:
swt.png
swt.png (18.58 KiB) Viewed 11925 times
I'm glad you're making some progress.
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

Well at the moment all I've done is taken the wasteland tileset and modified it in photoshop by recoloring the orange dirt to look more like the swamp mud...It's easier than manually grafting the trees into the swamp tileset, but then, I like the swamp tileset. Maybe I'll end up doing that anyway someday...
b_o

Post by b_o »

The dirt does look a lot more like the right color. it already has some small pebbles, maybe color those pebbles grey?

It's not that difficult to swap trees out of tilesets, get graphics gale free edition, make a 32*32 grid, select 'snap to grid' and just copy and paste whatever tiles you want to move. Of course you will have to try to match the terrain at the foot of the trees with the ground tiles in the target tileset. For that, you can make all of the ground colors transparent in the tree tiles, then paste the groundless trees onto a ground tile from the target tileset.
TaShadan

Post by TaShadan »

The dirt does look a lot more like the right color. it already has some small pebbles, maybe color those pebbles grey?
Good idea i also think you should do that.
Warcraft 2.5
http://www.moddb.com/mods/warcraft-25
a fast paced Broodwar/Warcraft2 style mod for Warcraft 3 TFT (without heroes)

http://zero.tauniverse.com/
Total Annihilation Conversion with improved graphics, controls and an additional faction.
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

I was thinking of swapping out the mushrooms in the swamp one for the trees. I will endeavor to do this ASAP. I'd like to have an "in-between-tileset" between the wasteland, which could be situated just outside of marshy swamp tilesets, and the orc mushroom infested swamp, that lies beyond the portal in the orc world...

It'd be a lot more consistant that's for sure, plus the swamp tileset has deeper holes in the ground and green lakes. All I would have to do is add those trails and a few more pebbles and rocks.
McOstermann

Post by McOstermann »

Hi guys

I just read about your project after replaying warcraft 1. Good time as always.

I must say I am blown away by your work. So awesome! And I completely agree that 2D is must better for Warcraft 1 compared to the Warcraft 3-project.
If you keep up the quality, maybe Blizzard would even advertise for you. I read they have a side project in making warcraft 1 available to people, who never played it. Who knows, perhaps people would choose your edition.

I am very sad to see, that the last post is several months old. Are you guys still working on the project? If so, how far have you come? I would like to offer my assistance, though I have very little experience on this area.
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

I haven't touched this in a while man. Been busy with the real world stuff lately, and modding code for Wargus instead. Might get around to tweaking this again, but at the moment anyone can join and work on it. We're here to answer any question, but first make sure to search the forum for topics you're interested in finding out more about :)