Wargus Warcraft 1 Recreation

WIP aims to Wargus, while maintaining the game's ambience and gameplay experience.
MrFlibble

Re: Wargus Warcraft 1 Recreation

Post by MrFlibble »

Good news! Hallfiry got interested enough in the Mac graphics format he wrote functional converters for both sprites and other images in the game. Both tools, as well as an improved resource extractor, are available from here (again, at the very bottom of that page). Kudos to Hallfiry for the great work! ^_^
misterproudmoore

Post by misterproudmoore »

I haven't gotten the extractor to work with my War Data file yet (it gives me some message about 'Prerelease Demo detected'), if anyone knows what that means lemme know - otherwise I'll keep poking it! Thanks
timfelgentreff

Post by timfelgentreff »

FYI, if you can get the extractor working, it'd be cool to have it integrated with war1gus. It's pretty playable right now. War1gus already extracts the DOS sprites, but uses Scale2x processing to scale them up nicely, and Stratagus now supports hq2x and other pixel art scalers that are commonly used to make the graphics appear smoother. See here for two screenshots: https://github.com/Wargus/war1gus
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

Got any builds for Windows?
Yukiko

Post by Yukiko »

Oh, I see Dinky is back. No doubt with lots of nice new UI graphics. Right? Right.
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

misterproudmoore wrote:I haven't gotten the extractor to work with my War Data file yet (it gives me some message about 'Prerelease Demo detected'), if anyone knows what that means lemme know - otherwise I'll keep poking it! Thanks
Hallfiry told me that you probably have the registered version data file, which is currently not supported (he doesn't have it). He can add support if you upload that file (strictly for research purposes!) somewhere. Hallfiry has been unable to register here at the forums for some reason, so if you upload the file you can drop the link to me via PM, or I'll ask him if I may share his e-mail address (or other means of communication) with you.
timfelgentreff wrote:FYI, if you can get the extractor working, it'd be cool to have it integrated with war1gus. It's pretty playable right now. War1gus already extracts the DOS sprites, but uses Scale2x processing to scale them up nicely, and Stratagus now supports hq2x and other pixel art scalers that are commonly used to make the graphics appear smoother. See here for two screenshots: https://github.com/Wargus/war1gus
Is there an option to stretch the images to the original aspect ratio?
misterproudmoore

Imma just leave this here, https://www.mediafire.com/?rg03w2qfcqt2nyf

if your pal could be good enough to figure out how to use this and lemme know how it works that would be swell. If any noble soul wants to just put up sprite sheets (and do away with the DOS ones once and for all) that'd also be cool haha.
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

What was that file you put there man? All that it has is a blank file called "War Data" with no extension. What program do I use to open It?
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Hallfiry added Mac retail data file support, the new version of the extractor (build 11) is found on the same page.
DinkyDyeAussie wrote:What was that file you put there man? All that it has is a blank file called "War Data" with no extension. What program do I use to open It?
This is the Mac retail version data file. Use Hallfiry's extractor to unpack the files, then the converters to get the sprites and/or images.

BTW, if anyone wants the Mac shareware version (same levels as in the DOS demo, but all Mac graphics and stuff), you can download it from Blizzard FTP: MacWarcraftDemo.sea.hqx

Alternate download link (Wayback Machine): macwar1_107sw.sit.hqx

You will need StuffIt Expander to unpack the HQX archive and get the data file.

On another note, is there any chance of Wargus reading the graphics directly from the data file, without the need to unpack them?

[Edit] If you need info on how to run Mac Warcraft on a PC in a 100% legal way, here's some info on Executor, a Mac 68k compatibility layer for PC (DOS and Windows) and Linux. The Mac version of Warcraft runs fine in it, although the colours are all wrong. This can be fixed for screenshots though.
misterproudmoore

Are you sure that's build 11? The file is still called build 10 and seems to be giving the same error.