Wargus Warcraft 1 Recreation

WIP aims to Wargus, while maintaining the game's ambience and gameplay experience.
TaShadan

Re: Wargus Warcraft 1 Recreation

Post by TaShadan »

I am also waiting for something playable here :(
Warcraft 2.5
http://www.moddb.com/mods/warcraft-25
a fast paced Broodwar/Warcraft2 style mod for Warcraft 3 TFT (without heroes)

http://zero.tauniverse.com/
Total Annihilation Conversion with improved graphics, controls and an additional faction.
b_o

Post by b_o »

Someone ought to stick the Wyrmsun stuff into the WIP as new units and stuff so that the orcs could build goblins and kobolds alongside the original stuff, and the humans could build dwarves and gnomes. The critters and some tiles might be usable too. I nominate Dinky, TaShadan, and Kargath for the task, and Big Daddy to fund it. Making wargus pull stuff from WC2 into wyrmsun would also be interesting.
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

I would love to have some new tilesets in wargus, along with some new units. One day when I decide to get around to making my own stratagus game, I'd like to get mine put into WIP, but I think it's a long way off (my game) to being completed.
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

b_o wrote:Someone ought to stick the Wyrmsun stuff into the WIP as new units and stuff so that the orcs could build goblins and kobolds alongside the original stuff, and the humans could build dwarves and gnomes. The critters and some tiles might be usable too. I nominate Dinky, TaShadan, and Kargath for the task, and Big Daddy to fund it. Making wargus pull stuff from WC2 into wyrmsun would also be interesting.
...what the fuck?
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Guys, I'm sorry for just jumping in this thread. You're doing some awesome stuff with the new Warcraft II style graphics for the first game's units structures etc.

However, do you know that Blizzard actually created high-resolution versions of Warcraft: Orcs & Humans graphics for the Macintosh port of the game? They were not made from scratch but are manual edits of the original DOS version art, scaled to proper dimensions (raw DOS sprites are intended for non-square pixels and thus appear compressed vertically). The artists worked on a tigh schedule but they added a lot of detail to structures, a bit less to actual units.

For some reason, the Mac version of Warcraft seems to be not very widely known. There's like a couple of screenshots, and no YouTube gameplay videos. However, a while ago I was able to run the Mac demo using Executor, a Mac compatibility layer that does not require any official Mac hardware ROMs or a MacOS installation. It was far from flawless but with a help of my friend I go some screenshots from the Mac version. You can view them here:
http://imgur.com/a/SR4Yu#0

My friend wrote a programme that can extract (some of the) resources from the Mac Warcraft data file. I'm not sure if the graphics formats are the same as form the PC version or not, but at least theoretically it can be attempted to convert Mac assets into a format usable by Wargus.
misterproudmoore

Post by misterproudmoore »

hiya, you couldn't help a brother out with getting those mac sprites could you? the DOS ones are so tiny and I have no idea how to extract stuff from the mac version, I don't fancy the idea of having to screen capture gameplay and then rotoscope the stuff I want out of the game
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Actually the utility I mentioned does not support sprite extraction (yet). It just pulls out some raw files (not even all the contents of the data file). I'll ask Hallfiry (the author) if it is possible though.
misterproudmoore

thanks for the help either way! Worst comes to worst I can just rotobrush the stuff out that I want in adobe after effects or something.
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

I have consulted Hallfiry, and first thing is that I have misinformed you: the utility (available here at the very bottom of the page) can extract all the files from the Mac Warcraft data files.

Furthermore, Hallfiry believes that the format for the Mac version sprites is identical to the PC version format, with the exception of the order of sprite dimensions, which is big-endian for the Mac. This has not been tested yet though.

Additionally, the extractor only gives indices for extracted files, not file names, and I'm not sure which files are actually unit sprites. I don't remember WarDraft automatically identifying the sprite files in Warcraft data files. However, a clue may be found in the Warcraft 2 alpha which retains some unused sprites from the first game.
misterproudmoore

Thanks for the link, I'll have a tinker!