Wargus Warcraft 1 Recreation

WIP aims to Wargus, while maintaining the game's ambience and gameplay experience.
MrFlibble

Re: Wargus Warcraft 1 Recreation

Post by MrFlibble »

Hallfiry told me there had been a typo in the download link, he fixed that now. Sorry for the inconvenience.
misterproudmoore

Post by misterproudmoore »

That's alright, thanks for the new download! I'm on Windows 7 and the thing is crashing out when I open it, is there any more I need to know about using these programs? I'm not committing a rookie dummy mistake by treating it as a drag and drop, am I?
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

I think you need to rename the Mac data file to something with an extension. I just had a similar issue with the Mac demo data file (can't download your retail file for some reason), and I just renamed it into data.war and everything worked. I think it has always been like that, I just forgot to mention it.
misterproudmoore

You'll laugh but both of the Mac tools are crashing for me now haha. Changing the file extension did get the extractor to work, though, so thanks for that tip!
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

misterproudmoore wrote:You'll laugh but both of the Mac tools are crashing for me now haha.
Drag and drop won't work for the converters, as you need to specify the palettes. Have you read the documentation Hallfiry wrote?
timfelgentreff

Post by timfelgentreff »

Any chance we can get the source for these tools? I'd like to integrate them with war1gus, but to do so I'd need the source, or at least a reasonable description of what it does.
timfelgentreff

Post by timfelgentreff »

MrFlibble wrote:
timfelgentreff wrote:FYI, if you can get the extractor working, it'd be cool to have it integrated with war1gus. It's pretty playable right now. War1gus already extracts the DOS sprites, but uses Scale2x processing to scale them up nicely, and Stratagus now supports hq2x and other pixel art scalers that are commonly used to make the graphics appear smoother. See here for two screenshots: https://github.com/Wargus/war1gus
Is there an option to stretch the images to the original aspect ratio?
In the war1tool extractor? No, there isn't because the images are stretched anyway when you play the game. That's what the original dos game did, too, afaict
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

timfelgentreff wrote:Any chance we can get the source for these tools? I'd like to integrate them with war1gus, but to do so I'd need the source, or at least a reasonable description of what it does.
Hallfiry does not intend to share the source code ATM, but he promised to write a description of all the relevant Mac formats.
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

As promised, Hallfiry put up a short (and, as of yet, incomplete) guide to Warcraft file format specifications: Wc1Book_041215.pdf. Updates will be posted to the same page as the tools.

Hope this helps!
misterproudmoore

Thanks for passing along my many queries, haha, I'll do my best to figure it out!