Wargus Warcraft 1 Recreation

WIP aims to Wargus, while maintaining the game's ambience and gameplay experience.
DinkyDyeAussie

Wargus Warcraft 1 Recreation

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

I know some of the buildings are different in terms of looks, but essentially a recreation of Warcraft 1 using Warcraft 2 assets is quite possible. The only difference is there was no oil option, because there were no ships in Warcraft 1. Also there were levels inside cave/mines in Warcraft 1, so we'd need to make a new tileset for Wargus in order to be able to recreate those levels - One idea would be to take the swamp tileset and replace the water and tree tiles with cave walls and voids to make a new tileset for the cave levels.

These are just ideas, but very doable, and wouldn't take much if everyone wanted to chip in. I'd be happy to supply the PNG renders of each map so people can start working on them in Wargus???
b_o

Re: Wargus Warcraft 1 Recreation

Post by b_o »

There were cave walls, then there were interior walls which could not be destroyed. it might be good to have the cave walls made of tree tiles so peasants could dig.

Destructible doors could be achieved by replacing one of the single wall pieces.., I've seen this done before to have a treasure chest which opens upon being attacked. to get bridges in other tilesets, you can make orcs and humans build the same human wall tiles and then use the destroyed orc wall tiles for bridges and things.

There were a few other things in war1 besides bridges and the stuff you mentioned.. slime, fire elemental, brigands, wolfriding raiders, orc spearmen, human crossbowmen, summon scorpions/spiders/deamons/water-elementals, injured rescuable soldiers in blankets, grizelda/garona, medivh, blackrock spire, stormwind keep, clerics and necrolytes. I might have a few warcraft 1 sprites which were improved to fit in warcraft 2, the regular ones are here: http://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_computer/warcraft/ but you could always use something like HQX to enlarge the war1 sprites with less pixelization: https://code.google.com/p/hqx/

Maybe death and decay should be converted to poison cloud. the rain of fire was much different in war1 too.
jarod42

Post by jarod42 »

you can get war1.zip from site like

http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download ... nd-humans/

then you can run wargus to extract data.

animation of most unit are ready.
tileset doesn't work.
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

I already own Warcraft 1, hence why I mentioned I'd like to create to interface peices for Wargus for when you play the Warcraft 1 Campaigns.

That HQX program is bloody awesome! Tried it out and it works good :)

There are alot more units than I thought there'd be now you've listed them all here. A lot of nuetral buildings/units can be reused from warcraft 2 tho - Gold Mines, Skeletons(undead), Human and Orc Catapults - or maybe just the catapult _. I haven't "played" warcraft 1 for ages, lately I've just been skipping through and taking map shots so that I can hopyfully recreate the maps in Wargus.
b_o

Post by b_o »

HQX works better on the buildings than the units.. it works ok on the catapult though... I think the war1 catapult should be used for the humans in the war 1 campaign... orcs could use the orc one though.. and maybe elves could use the ballista.
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

Why not just use the Orc Catapult for both sides if both sides had them in the first Game? It would make sense and seriously I could even try modelling some stuff in 3D for the remake...I know ppl have remade Warcraft 1 using the Warcraft 3 engine, but there's just something magical about 2D top down engines - they have a richer look to them IMHO.

The only thing I would need to worry about is the palette when it comes to using certain colours, because some were used for animation. It's early days, but in all honesty I would like to use as many assests from warcraft 2 graphics to recreate the first game, it would tie them together better.
b_o

Post by b_o »

I guess it doesn't matter, the orc catapult just looks a little more orcy. One could potentially make a more human looking one by taking the shields from the ballista and replacing the bloody spikes on the orc catapult.

What I'd like to know is if this recreation is under control, or are all of these ideas just floating around.. Are you going to take charge of the project and list what needs to be completed so others can contribute? or are you going to post some resources here which you make?
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

At the moment I am just putting ideas out there. I know I can make the interfaces for the Warcraft 1 Senarios - that's trivial, but I am seeing how many other motivated poeple there are here who want to help.

I am here discussing these topics because it sounds like an awesome idea. The things I can think off at the moment that people need to help create/recreate are:

Mission Scripts - each missions objectives/unit allowances
Maps - remake them using wargus map editor
Tilesets - the swamp one with trees instead of mushrooms
Units - Certain units from Warcraft 2 need modification/new units need creating/scripting - I'll make a list of which ones to work on.
Inter-Mission Briefings - Maybe record them with fraps - screw animating new ones it's only a recreation.

ATM this is all I can think of. I know I'd like to do the scripting and the interface pieces and the mapping...Maybe even model some new units in 3DS Max...I do have alot to do in real life too, so don't expect me to be telling everyone what to do all the time, I need as many people on this as possible.
b_o

Post by b_o »

Tilesets - the swamp one with trees instead of mushrooms
Here is a swamp tileset with trees instead of mushrooms, not sure if it's what you're looking for since the trees are different from war1&2:
BWTREES.gif
BWTREES.gif (53.39 KiB) Viewed 19753 times
Download it here:
bwswamp.zip
swamp with trees, this is in war2 format for use with wardraft, it may have to be installed to war2 with wardraft, then extracted for stratagus.
(142.22 KiB) Downloaded 786 times
Inter-Mission Briefings - Maybe record them with fraps - screw animating new ones it's only a recreation.
Wardraft can extract the mission briefing graphics and sounds from war1 with the war1 knowledge base, I'm not sure if wargus can do that.. yet
Units - Certain units from Warcraft 2 need modification/new units need creating/scripting - I'll make a list of which ones to work on.
I may be willing to help with some of this.. improving some war1 unit icons for war2 should not be a problem.. I may also consider enlarging the wolfriding raider graphics and improving it a bit..
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

I found a wood texture that would fit nicely for the Orc Warcraft 1 interface, just gotta photoshop it. The trees from Warcraft 2 Summer and Wasteland tilesets could maybe be grafted (using photoshop) into the swamp tileset, with a fairbit of work.

Resizing the Wolf-rider graphics is most likely the only way (without recreating them), to get them in the game. All the units that aren't in Wargus/Warcraft 2 are going to have to be recreated/heavily modified.