Wargus Intro Movies will not play - errors out

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.
DinkyDyeAussie

Wargus Intro Movies will not play - errors out

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

I'm managing to successfully compile stratagus code into an exe file, but when I go to run wargus using the new stratagus.exe, the intro movie begins to play - all you hear is sound, there is nothing visual, no blizzard logo at all. Then about 1 1/2 seconds later it freezes, and comes up with a message box asking if you would like to debug. I say yes, and open the file up in VC2005.

The editor highlights line 144 - SDL_DisplayYUVOverlay(yuv_overlay, rect); parameter. It doesn't say anything else about it though, but I remember reading that it's an SDL library problem, which is embedded at the time of compile, that causes the bug. Is there a way to get the code to compile so the game can play movies? HELP!!! please :)
jarod42

Re: Wargus Intro Movies will not play - errors out

Post by jarod42 »

when compiling with gcc, video is OK.
with visual, the video is unreadable (but I have no crash).
it is a known issue.
I can't help more for the moment. :/
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

Hey Jarod that's what I get now too. I tried compiling the SDL libraries with Visual, but I get the good ol' rainbow movie look, instead of the genuine black and a blue blizzard sign sailing past.

I know that gcc is a cmd line based compiler, but I got no clue how to go about using gcc...if I did, I'd have no problem. I also read somewhere that I can't use gcc in visual to replace the stock compiler that visual uses.

are there any "Dummies how to use gcc" sites around I can refer to to at least try and get info on how to use it.
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

Seems the gcc/g++ MinGW shell programs I downloaded last night are working in cmake! I just generated a MinGW makefile, but I got no clue how to go about making it into an EXE using MinGW! please help. I really want to learn how to get it to an exe.

would it help if I gave details of the location of the make files and the location of the MinGW programs? I'm a noob at gcc!
jarod42

Post by jarod42 »

I personnally don't use CMake with gcc as I have a Codelite solution.

but according to Pali, the way to go is :
//cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug
cmake optionOfCmake && make
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

Seriously man I am so close to compiling. I generated MSYS makefiles for MinGW, then went to MinGW Shell, and went to the directory where the makefile was, typed "make", and it started compiling! But...When it got to "game.cpp" it errored out with:

"game.cpp - Line 577 :: "strcasestr" was not declared in this scope

huh? MSVC never gave me this! grrr, I'm so close it's bogus. I'm sorry, I'm acting like a kid, I just want to get it done.
jarod42

Post by jarod42 »

on MSVC, strcasestr is a define for _stricmp.

strcasestr function is a nonstandard extension declared (if present) in <string.h>.

There is an implementation in src/stratagus/util.cpp when HAVE_STRCASESTR is undefined.
So, make sure that HAVE_STRCASESTR is coherent with your system.
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

Yeah that's what I found last night when I opened stratagus up in MSVC to see where it was defined. Maybe I could put the definition in the file it's being used just to see if I can get it all to compile without stuffing up.

*EDIT*

Nuh, that didn't do anything :cry:. I'll try and look up some detailed docs on just how the heck I can get this to work properly with clear movies, when compiling in MSVC.
jarod42

Post by jarod42 »

is HAVE_STRCASESTR defined for you ?
(a way to test it is to include this code somewhere in the cpp and watch the error message
-- 8< --
#ifdef HAVE_STRCASESTR
#error "HAVE_STRCASESTR"
#else
#error "don't HAVE_STRCASESTR"
#endif
-- >8 --
)
CMake should add this macro only when the function is found (or asked by the user)...
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

Yeah I have that Parameter in the Compiler Options. It's all working fine now by the way. I compiled using a newer version of the theora library -> 1.2.0, instead of version 1.1.1 that comes with the "msvclibs.zip" file, that us MSVC devs/distributors have to download in order to compile everything.

So now the intro and BLIZZARD logo movies look the way they should. I want to test some more thing out though - the game kicks me out on Tides of Darkness->Human Campaign->Level 4, when I take some destroyers down to start destroying the enemy base...I don't know what is causing it though, even though I've run it in Debug mode. Pali or Joris or Cybermind may be exeriencing the same thing and release another fix soon.

Anyways I'll keep you all posted. I'm just so glad I can compile and have proper working movies.