Ideas

Kyran

Ideas

Post by Kyran »

Ideas for the Stratagus Forums go here.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
Big Daddy

Re: Ideas

Post by Big Daddy »

-For forum bots - Perhaps a Captcha for registration

-I recommend contacting the old and current devs for stratagus and getting them involved, especially ones that are forthcoming with knowledge on how new coders can get involved in their own branches

-A tutorials section, relating to the technical side of things, such as running a debugger to find reasons for crashes, or compiling the source via cmake or visualstudio

-A group of us can begin working together to interpret and properly document the source code

Kyran, I can tell that you are intent on keeping this project alive. I've watched Stratagus and Wargus falter and then gain momentum throughout the years but I have a great fondness for this project, and want to see it survive the coming days. Let's work together and build a community here.

-Big Daddy
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

Big Daddy wrote:-For forum bots - Perhaps a Captcha for registration
Currently I've got questions during registration. This apparently is more effective then a captcha. Unfortunately the bots seem to have worked out what the answer is.
Big Daddy wrote:-I recommend contacting the old and current devs for stratagus and getting them involved, especially ones that are forthcoming with knowledge on how new coders can get involved in their own branches
I've emailed the current devs but they don't seem interested.
Big Daddy wrote:-A tutorials section, relating to the technical side of things, such as running a debugger to find reasons for crashes, or compiling the source via cmake or visualstudio
Good idea. I think that can go in the education forum.
Big Daddy wrote:-A group of us can begin working together to interpret and properly document the source code
Baby steps, we need a group first.
Big Daddy wrote:Let's work together and build a community here.
Sounds like a plan.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Kyran wrote:
Big Daddy wrote:-For forum bots - Perhaps a Captcha for registration
Currently I've got questions during registration. This apparently is more effective then a captcha. Unfortunately the bots seem to have worked out what the answer is.
Seems to be working.
Kyran wrote:
Big Daddy wrote:-I recommend contacting the old and current devs for stratagus and getting them involved, especially ones that are forthcoming with knowledge on how new coders can get involved in their own branches
I've emailed the current devs but they don't seem interested.
Shameful on their part. It's no surprise then that nothing's been accomplished on this project for years.
Kyran wrote:
Big Daddy wrote:-A tutorials section, relating to the technical side of things, such as running a debugger to find reasons for crashes, or compiling the source via cmake or visualstudio
Good idea. I think that can go in the education forum.
Progress is being made on that front.
What do you think about hosting a WIKI for Stratagus?
Kyran wrote:
Big Daddy wrote:-A group of us can begin working together to interpret and properly document the source code
Baby steps, we need a group first.
I think an IRC channel or another medium of real-time discussion is needed. I see two Stratagus channels, on FreeNet and QuakeNet.
Kyran wrote:
Big Daddy wrote:Let's work together and build a community here.
Sounds like a plan.
I agree.
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

Big Daddy wrote:Progress is being made on that front.
What do you think about hosting a WIKI for Stratagus?
When we get enough content to justify a WIKI I'll put one up. However, at this stage I think it would be best if we just focus on the forums.
Big Daddy wrote:I think an IRC channel or another medium of real-time discussion is needed. I see two Stratagus channels, on FreeNet and QuakeNet.
irc://irc.freenode.net/stratagus
http://colabti.org/irclogger/irclogger_logs/stratagus
BicchusDicchus wrote:Once there was a project called Wargus; but it would always crash More-gus; of debuggers, the devs were oblivious; and documentation was nowhere to be found.
b_o

Post by b_o »

it would be nice if all of the project threads( 'other projects' etc.) had an introductory post with screenshots, descriptions and links in each project section.

There should also be a 'potential project', or 'project ideas' section.
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

b_o wrote:There should also be a 'potential project', or 'project ideas' section.
I've updated the description of the 'Other Projects' forum to include ideas or potential projects.
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

I like that quote, I would have LOL'd had it not woken up the girlfriend.

I see from the link that it's the only chat message from that day, aside from some intense spanking.

http://www.boswars.org/wiki/index.php?n ... s.HomePage

Here's some basic Stratagus infos, from the balls of steel wars wiki

-Big Daddy
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

IRC wrote:05:47 BigDaddy joined
05:47 BigDaddy Hello!
05:48 cybermind left
05:48 cybermind joined
05:49 BigDaddy left
05:54 User__ joined
05:54 User__ is now known as Kyran
05:54 Kyran Good morning BOS Land!
05:54 Kyran I mean
05:54 Kyran Stratagus Land!
You didn't last very long Big.
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

you sound like my girlfriend