Modern languages

Big Daddy

Modern languages

Post by Big Daddy »

Although the source is stored mostly in .cpp files, the actual code is in C, in such a way that many values are limited to single byte numbers (2^8=256). An example of this is the Maximum Map Height, being 256x256.

The code itself is lacking sufficient documentation in the form of proper commenting within the code.
It's almost as if Lutz Sammer or Nehal Mistry didn't want anyone new to come and work on the code.

I want you intelligent programming types to assess the inherent difficulty in porting or rebuilding Stratagus in C++ or C#.

After seeing what could be done in C# with RunUO, an innovative Ultima Online server emulator, I am fully impressed upon with ideas as to the great potential of such a project as Stratagus, and in particular Wargus and BoS Wars.

We're at a hurdle right now, using C and it's ancient definitions and functions. When we upgrade, the possibilities will be endless.
jarod42

Re: Modern languages

Post by jarod42 »

The actual code is in C++ with lot of C code not ported.
The limitation is not due to C, but by design : mostly by cloning war2.
Goal was not to obfuscate code, but coders are coders :-/
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

I've always been a strong believer in proper documentation. It's how we pass on knowledge and ensure that projects can be maintained after our withdrawl.

Be it software projects, electronic circuit design, or good ole'-fashioned PLCs, documentation is neccessary for future engineers to grasp what we accomplished and how to build upon it.

It's never the intention to obfuscate code, but the oversight can cost a project dearly in the long-run.

Over the past weeks I've been considering the magnitude of man-hours required to rebuild the project from the ground up, using C# or C++.

I've spent the last two years working with Assembly mainly, with very little x86 but rather a host of embedded localizations such as HC11 and AVR.
While I haven't lost my knowledge of C or C++, I am quite rusty in them. C++ in particular. I am also well aware of C++'s advantages over C in modern environments.

Let's talk.

-Big Daddy
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Shoop de whoop.