Doom Wars: UAC vs. Hell 1.3 beta1 - the long awaited one

Doom Wars is a RTS set in Doom universe that pits the Marines of the UAC against the Invaders from Hell.
cybermind

Doom Wars: UAC vs. Hell 1.3 beta1 - the long awaited one

Post by cybermind »

... and when the Earth, Mars, Phobos and Deimos were trembling by cloven hooves of Cyberdemons, it has revealed itself...

Behold, the new version of Doom Wars: UAC vs. Hell has been finally released!
This one took a lot of time and work, but now, it's complete.
Grab it here: http://stratagus.com/?page_id=80
The screenshots page: http://stratagus.com/?page_id=116
The main changes are listed on Downloads page, but I will post them there too:

Code: Select all

[list]- Support for new version of Stratagus engine, which includes a lot of new features and bug fixes(OpenGL, running on modern Windows systems and more).
- Network and replays work again.
- A lot of new units, whereas several old units were removed, mostly with sprites from other games. At least, UAC now have a new vehicle park.
- All building sprites were redesigned.
- New mode - Doom Wars DeathMatch, which moves original Doom deathmatch in Doom Wars realm.
- 2 new tilesets - Earth and Hell, whereas all other tilesets were modified, especially interior tilesets.
- Now game supports a pack of resolution modes, up to 1920x1080
- Functional map editor
- Brand new gameplay - races are a bit different now, each unit has its own advantages and disadvantages. Hell units are able to use marines to create zombies, whereas UAC is able to research anomalies of Hellish technology. A lot of new upgrades, whereas the old ones were redesigned. 
- Veterancy system - units gain experience and ranks, becoming stronger and tougher and gaining new special abilities.
- More efficient AI: 5 difficulty levels, named like skills from Doom; each unit try to target enemy which is easy in defeating. AI now use almost all game capabilities, including superweapons.
- Improved UI: ability to view map preview in skirmish setup, quick buttons on the left side of the in-game screen, big map mode(without interface), button popup system and much more.
- New resource system - minerals and energy. Minerals are collected from regenerable patches and energy is collected from generators.
- Armor system - UAC armor protects marine from harm by reducing damage but it could be destroyed.
- Many units now behave like in original Doom - Arch-Viles cast fire directly on target and could resurrect dead demons.
- Almost all unit speech were rewritten (including annoyed speech too!).
- Improved animations and introducing particle system for graphic effects.
- Game reference manual
- Russian language support.
... and much more :)[/list]
Full information about game is in readme_**.txt inside archive.
Since game is in beta stage, you would be greatly appreciated, if you will help in beta testing. Feel free to post any comments about bugs, game balance and so on.
Enjoy gaming the new version of Doom Wars!
DinkyDyeAussie

Re: Doom Wars: UAC vs. Hell 1.3 beta1 - the long awaited one

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

I think this is the first time in a long time that a game has given me butterflies in my stomach. That anticipation you have when you know something grand is happening :) Downloading right now! Can't wait to play!
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

I'm using Windows 8, and I noticed that the preferences.lua in the Doom Wars beta gets saved to a subfolder in the main directory, rather than in $UserName/AppData/Roaming/Stratagus/.

Was this intentional? Also, is the Doom Wars beta .exe identical to commit version 8876 of the Stratagus engine, or were special changes for Doom Wars made?
cybermind

Post by cybermind »

My alpha-testers were annoyed by that every time a multiplayer battle ends, they should go through the rabbit hole to that folder and copy replays to send me. So I added ENABLE_USEGAMEDIR CMake flag to create all game-related files in game folder. You may recompile Stratagus with this option set to false to make Stratagus place all game-related data to user directory.

I'm using official Stratagus trunk branch (I have been modifying it for 2 years, adding new features needed for Doom Wars (and maybe other Stratagus games)). So all my Stratagus modifications for Doom Wars are in main trunk branch. I have just compiled Stratagus on my new Debian 7 machine and Doom Wars works OK :)

By the way, what you will say about new Doom Wars version? (just curious) :D And if you made any interesting replays, post them there.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

cybermind wrote:My alpha-testers were annoyed by that every time a multiplayer battle ends, they should go through the rabbit hole to that folder and copy replays to send me. So I added ENABLE_USEGAMEDIR CMake flag to create all game-related files in game folder. You may recompile Stratagus with this option set to false to make Stratagus place all game-related data to user directory.
I'm using official Stratagus trunk branch (I have been modifying it for 2 years, adding new features needed for Doom Wars (and maybe other Stratagus games)). So all my Stratagus modifications for Doom Wars are in main trunk branch. I have just compiled Stratagus on my new Debian 7 machine and Doom Wars works OK :)[/quote]

Okay, thanks for clarifying :) Will you keep compiling future versions of Stratagus for Doom Wars with that same flag?
By the way, what you will say about new Doom Wars version? (just curious) :D And if you made any interesting replays, post them there.
I like it :) Particularly the special features, things such as the trading mode which have more sophisticated code. I also like the variety of upgrades and units available. The gameplay is quite nice. The graphics are an area which I feel could do with some improvement, though (particularly in regards to the buildings, mineral patches and the "cancel" icon). I think that it will be cool when the campaigns are implemented (I'm more of a campaign player myself).
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

I bought myself a new headset which has a way better mic. I was thinking about updating the sounds I contributed to this game as they will be higher quality in terms of clarity.

Is that ok? If so could you re-email me the lines again Cybermind?