Using Bos Wars sounds in another project?

BOS Wars is a RTS game that features a dynamic rate based economy. Energy is produced by power plants and magma gets pumped from hot spots. Units and structures are also built at a continuous rate.
MrFlibble

Using Bos Wars sounds in another project?

Post by MrFlibble »

Hello everyone,

I apologize for this probably amateurish question, but I wanted to ask if it is permissible to use some speech and sound effects from Bos Wars in a different open source project? ATM I have been unable to find the details on how the sound effects in the game are licensed.

Also, the sounds will probably have to be converted to lower frequency/bitrate to be used in the game. Is this allowed?

Thank you in advance for the explanations!
Andrettin

Re: Using Bos Wars sounds in another project?

Post by Andrettin »

MrFlibble wrote:Hello everyone,

I apologize for this probably amateurish question, but I wanted to ask if it is permissible to use some speech and sound effects from Bos Wars in a different open source project? ATM I have been unable to find the details on how the sound effects in the game are licensed.

Also, the sounds will probably have to be converted to lower frequency/bitrate to be used in the game. Is this allowed?

Thank you in advance for the explanations!
The sounds from Bos Wars are licensed under the GPLv2:

"Bos Wars as a whole is distributed under the GNU general public license version 2, which is available in the file LICENSE.txt.

The license covers the whole game including all of the game scripts, graphics, and sounds."

Source

Since the GPLv2 allows redistribution and modification, you can use the sounds for other projects, and convert the frequency/bitrate to a lower one.
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Great, thanks a lot for the clarification! I expected this was the case but couldn't find the relevant license text. Thanks!
Lmoy

Post by Lmoy »

The voices come from Ghost Recon soundclips, don't they?