How to fix color teams in unit graphics..

Got resources you'd like to share? Want to request some help with scripting or graphic creation? Then this is the place to be.
francot514

How to fix color teams in unit graphics..

Post by francot514 »

Im creating this new graphics and posting some of them into the mod archive here, but for some units the team colors are not working, by example this the tauren, how to fix it??
Attachments
Tauren
Tauren
tauren2.png (338.7 KiB) Viewed 8446 times
b_o

Re: How to fix color teams in unit graphics..

Post by b_o »

A 256 color palette is needed, and 4 palette indexes are reserved for team colors:

#208 replaced by player color (brightest shade)
#209 replaced by player color (next brightest)
#210 replaced by player color (darker shade)
#211 replaced by player color (darkest shade)

There is more info here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3309

You want to make sure the team colors in the graphic are located in the correct palette index.

There are different ways to rearrange them. If you have the ability to save and load palettes in the jasc format, you can use a text editor and re-arrange the order of the colors manually before reloading the modified palette into the old graphic. Or you can use the free version of "graphics gale" to drag and drop the colors to the appropriate index, then save the new palette as an external palette, then open up the original graphic from before you moved the indexes, then load the new palette into the old graphic, and the team colors should be properly indexed to the new indexes. A complication can be happen when you have an identical RGB value indexed earlier in the palette. In that case, when you load the new palette, it might try to use the lower index instead of the team color index, since some graphic programs seem to assign the index to the first occurrence of the RGB value it's looking for. To avoid that problem you can make sure that the team colors you use have unique RGB values in the palette. That might mean modifying recurring RGB values by 1 to make the RGB values in one index different from RGB values in other indexes.
francot514

Post by francot514 »

Hurra i dont understand so much about pallete editing or related, can you help me and try to fix the image please...
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

You can try copy and pasting your graphic into an existing image (which works with team colours). Then, change the team colour sections of your graphic to match the original's.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
francot514

Post by francot514 »

Tried and got same result, dont know if i do it wrong, but used gimp for do it...