Virtual Machine

Got resources you'd like to share? Want to request some help with scripting or graphic creation? Then this is the place to be.
Big Daddy

Virtual Machine

Post by Big Daddy »

With the excitement of uncovering new, or rather, old TCs, I have begun to think it better to set up a DOS Virtual machine again.

Of course, my first thought was to use the googles. However I will also submit to my brothers here: which Virtual Machine do you prefer?

I have used mainly VMWare in the past.

I am running Windows 7 x64 Home Edition, which was standard for my laptop.
Kyran

Re: Virtual Machine

Post by Kyran »

Back when I wanted to play Castle of the Winds I experimented with visualization. The results weren't too impressive due to mouse lag. I ended up installing Windows 3.1 in DOSBox and playing all my games that way. Worked well enough.

I use VirtualBox.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

I tested DOS in DOSBox extensively and found it's only useful to a tee.

I realized I already had a copy of VMWare Workstation. So I reinstalled, and made virtual drives for FreeDOS 1.1, MS-DOS 6.22, and MS-DOS 7.10. Will probably do Windows 98 and Ubuntu as well.
Am also considering emulating Raspian for Raspberry Pi development.

The reason for the various versions of DOS is that while FreeDOS is nice, I missed the old DOSSHELL program.
Furthermore, as I understand it, there are certain utilities included in MSDOS that FreeDOS just hasn't yet cloned perfectly, while FreeDOS has advantages of it's own. Therefore, some work is to be done in order to cobble together the best of both worlds, but it is not outside my means.

IMMA PLAY SOME WAR2 DOS YO!! WHO WANNA MEET UP ON DA KALI AND DWANGO!?1
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

Big Daddy wrote:there are certain utilities included in MSDOS that FreeDOS just hasn't yet cloned perfectly
Yeah, I miss EDIT.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

I was picturing DOSSHELL when I typed that.
waleed432

Post by waleed432 »

There are some nice graphics on there, for certain.

I like the ones that seem hand-drawn; it matches the style of Warcraft 2, if not the spirit.
Get fast success in Pass4sure C_HANASUP_1 and Johnson University Florida exam questions by using our latest exam ISM.We also offer up-to-date Rockefeller University and answers for your prep of Youtube.