Audio, where does it come from?

zoso2

Audio, where does it come from?

Post by zoso2 »

So I haven't played Boswars in several years. I actually thought Stargus was a dead project so it's awesome to see this little corner of the Linux gaming world still going strong. Anyways, I'm an audio engineer/ foley designer and would like to get involved with some projects if possible. Are the current audio assets from some sort of free archive or library? I'd love the lend my skills and expertise anyway that I can.

Cheers
Andrettin

Re: Audio, where does it come from?

Post by Andrettin »

zoso2 wrote:So I haven't played Boswars in several years. I actually thought Stargus was a dead project so it's awesome to see this little corner of the Linux gaming world still going strong. Anyways, I'm an audio engineer/ foley designer and would like to get involved with some projects if possible. Are the current audio assets from some sort of free archive or library? I'd love the lend my skills and expertise anyway that I can.

Cheers
Hey,

Nice to see your interest in the engine =)

As far as I know, all audio in Aleona's Tales and Bos Wars is licensed under the GPLv2 license.

In Wyrmsun, too, all audio is licensed under the GPLv2.
zoso2

Post by zoso2 »

Thanks!

One thing I've noticed from watching some of the play through videos Kyran has made is that a lot of repetitive actions use the exact same sound. So when you have, lets say, 7 Dwarves chopping down trees you get this irritating wall of sound, the exact same sound, repeating over and over. While this may seem like a trivial detail compared to the more important bug fixes and game functionality developments that everyone is working on, it still plays a role in the overall gaming experience.

Rather than having one sound, three or five sounds the engine can randomly choose from goes a long way to added realism, reducing player fatigue and annoyance. Just slightly manipulating most games current sounds could add some pleasing variation.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

zoso2 wrote:Thanks!

One thing I've noticed from watching some of the play through videos Kyran has made is that a lot of repetitive actions use the exact same sound. So when you have, lets say, 7 Dwarves chopping down trees you get this irritating wall of sound, the exact same sound, repeating over and over. While this may seem like a trivial detail compared to the more important bug fixes and game functionality developments that everyone is working on, it still plays a role in the overall gaming experience.

Rather than having one sound, three or five sounds the engine can randomly choose from goes a long way to added realism, reducing player fatigue and annoyance. Just slightly manipulating most games current sounds could add some pleasing variation.
I completely agree with your point. The engine can already do what you mention, so there's no issue there, other than the availability of sounds. But for the case which you mentioned of the tree-chopping sounds for the dwarves in Wyrmsun in particular, this has been changed since Kyran has made that video, and now the tree-chopping sound is a new one more pleasant to the ear (in my view), which also has two variations, alleviating the issue you mentioned.
b_o

Post by b_o »

How about making some of the sounds you think would improve some of the games, and posting them? The griffons/dragons needs some sort of wing flapping sound. I'd like to see what kind of sword attack sounds you can make.
zoso2

Post by zoso2 »

b_o wrote:How about making some of the sounds you think would improve some of the games, and posting them? The griffons/dragons needs some sort of wing flapping sound. I'd like to see what kind of sword attack sounds you can make.
Absolutely, is there a particular area of the forum I should post these things?
Andrettin wrote: I completely agree with your point. The engine can already do what you mention, so there's no issue there, other than the availability of sounds. But for the case which you mentioned of the tree-chopping sounds for the dwarves in Wyrmsun in particular, this has been changed since Kyran has made that video, and now the tree-chopping sound is a new one more pleasant to the ear (in my view), which also has two variations, alleviating the issue you mentioned.
Yeah, I realize everyone here knows this already. I'm really just curious to know if anyone is working on optimizing this sort of thing and what level of priority it has.
b_o

Post by b_o »

You can post to the resources section: viewforum.php?f=33

But if the sounds are specially designed for a particular project, maybe it's ok to post in a project specific location?

I suppose your other question may be answered differently depending on the project.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

zoso2 wrote:Absolutely, is there a particular area of the forum I should post these things?

Yeah, I realize everyone here knows this already. I'm really just curious to know if anyone is working on optimizing this sort of thing and what level of priority it has.
I don't think anyone is working on audio for any of the projects right at this moment. Contributions would, of course, be welcome =)

About where to post this sort of things, I think the suggestions given by b_o are quite good; posting at the "Resources" forum if it is a more general thing; or, if you want to contribute to a specific project, posting in the subforum of that project.