Turreted Units?

shedeen

Turreted Units?

Post by shedeen »

In games like Command & Conquer there are vehicles that use separate turrets to track and fire at targets. In fact, even Starcraft had turreted units like the Siege Tank and Missile Turret. I'm wondering if something similar would be possible to do in Stratagus? Futuristic games like Bos Wars and Stargus would probably benefit from this because it would make units like tanks more believable. I don't know if this would be possible with Lua; I'm assuming it would only be doable with C code.

What do ya think?
cybermind

Re: Turreted Units?

Post by cybermind »

Currently Stratagus doesn't support this in any form, we need to modify engine itself. I'm currently the only active developer of Stratagus, so we need more programmers to be interested in it.
shedeen

Post by shedeen »

Interesting. I'd be happy to help with the engine any way I can - I've got some experience in C++ (but I'm definitely no expert), but I may need some help getting it to compile at all. All the stuff I've done so far has just been just modifying Aleona's Tales. Is there a better set of instructions on compiling somewhere? I've read the instructions on the official page but I found them to be a bit vague.

By the way, I seem to recall Bos Wars has a turreted defense tower of some kind. Perhaps that could be adapted for mobile units?
cybermind

Post by cybermind »

Here is my Skype: iddqd_skype, just add me and I'll try to describe all compilation progress :)
shedeen wrote:By the way, I seem to recall Bos Wars has a turreted defense tower of some kind. Perhaps that could be adapted for mobile units?
Because buildings are immobile, you can use their direction as rotation angle for turret. And if you would make that building mobile, you'll see that it's turret will always look at the direction where building "moves"
shedeen

Post by shedeen »

Thanks, give me a couple days to set up Skype on my computer and then I'll add you. I'm eager to start working on this engine!
cybermind wrote:Because buildings are immobile, you can use their direction as rotation angle for turret. And if you would make that building mobile, you'll see that it's turret will always look at the direction where building "moves"
Ah, makes sense. It was worth a shot :P
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

cybermind wrote:Currently Stratagus doesn't support this in any form, we need to modify engine itself. I'm currently the only active developer of Stratagus, so we need more programmers to be interested in it.
I actually know some C++. The only reason why I haven't worked on the engine itself is because I wasn't able to compile Stratagus. If I were able to do so, I suppose I could help with implementing features or fixing bugs.
cybermind

Post by cybermind »

I have posted my Skype above. Just add me and I'll tell you how to compile Stratagus step by step :)
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

cybermind wrote:Here is my Skype: iddqd_skype, just add me and I'll try to describe all compilation progress :)
Thanks cybermind, that's very kind of you :)

Right now I'm not at home and my internet is extremely slow here, but once I get back this weekend I'll add you on Skype.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Hey cybermind, when I searched for you on Skype, I got three results: "cybermind", "iddqd_" and "IDDQD 4 on Skype". I then added the "cybermind" one as a contact on Skype. I just re-sent you the contact addition invitation.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Stratagus compiled and running! Thanks for helping me with this, cybermind!