Wyrmsun

Wyrmsun is an RTS / Grand Strategy game which features elements of mythology, history and fiction.
cybermind

Re: Wyrmsun

Post by cybermind »

jarod42 wrote:@cybermind: if not done, can you add it in the help documentation. thanks.
Documentation is really outdated and full of old and deprecated data. It needs to be completely rewritten.
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

Just create a new wiki entry and enter the new functions in that.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

I created a GitHub repository for Wyrmsun:
https://github.com/andrettin/wyrmsun
b_o

Post by b_o »

Someone could add the github link to the wyrmsun section of stratagus.com
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

For the next version of Wyrmsun, I have made a crucial change for how scenarios work: the campaign button has been eliminated, and instead campaign scenario(s) can be played through the single-player game button. One of the main reasons for this is that in this way, players can replay campaign scenarios with different settings of their choice, such as using a different tileset or starting with just one worker.

Let's see how this works in practice. First, we can see that the single-player screen has two new options, "World" and "Map":

When you select a world (i.e. Nidavellir), then you can choose in the "Map" dropdown a map located in that world.

Chaincolt Foothills is the map which was used for the first scenario of the campaign. If you decide to play it, you'll get a quest shortly after starting the scenario:

You can refuse the quest, however, and then you can go on and play the map as you would a skirmish map. If you accept it, though, then you have to bring the caravans and the gnomish envoy to your Mead Hall, as was with the first scenario of the campaign. And if you complete that quest, that gets saved by the game, and then you would have the following scenario, "Caverns of Chaincolt", unlocked for you in the map selection dropdown for the world of Nidavellir. That is, if the "Caverns of Chaincolt" scenario were already going to be included in the next Wyrmsun version; but when that scenario gets released, then the game will automatically unlock it for you if you have already completed the quest from "Chaincolt Foothills".

Furthermore, the idea is that eventually campaign scenario quests will be available in custom maps, if conditions are exactly right. So, for instance, it would be possible for the player to obtain the quest which was previously shown, if the player had Rugnur, had a Mead Hall, and there were one gnomish player and one other dwarven player in the map. This possibility should be enabled when the gnomes are added to the game as a NPC civilization which can be randomly picked to appear in custom maps.

In case you were wondering what happened to the "Select Scenario" button, you can still access that exact same functionality by choosing "Other" under "World", and then "Custom Map" under "Map":

This way you can still play custom maps, such as ones created with the map editor.
b_o wrote:Someone could add the github link to the wyrmsun section of stratagus.com
Sounds like a good idea to me.
TaShadan

Post by TaShadan »

While playing i noticed that i cant select previously grouped buildings with the number hotkeys. For example i like to set my barracks on 1 but when i click 1 i cant select the barracks. Also miners dont attack enemy units when right clicking them. I have to order an "a" move. In general i enjoyed the game and iam looking forward for more content.
Warcraft 2.5
http://www.moddb.com/mods/warcraft-25
a fast paced Broodwar/Warcraft2 style mod for Warcraft 3 TFT (without heroes)

http://zero.tauniverse.com/
Total Annihilation Conversion with improved graphics, controls and an additional faction.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

TaShadan wrote:While playing i noticed that i cant select previously grouped buildings with the number hotkeys. For example i like to set my barracks on 1 but when i click 1 i cant select the barracks. Also miners dont attack enemy units when right clicking them. I have to order an "a" move. In general i enjoyed the game and iam looking forward for more content.
I'm glad that you enjoyed the game!

I tested the number hotkey grouping with buildings and had the same issue. That is, as far as I know, something that can only be changed by modifying the engine itself, rather than the lua files. As for the miners not attacking enemy units upon right-clicking, we can only assign one right-click action to each unit, so the workers have "harvest". They do automatically repair when right-clicking, but there's probably an exception made at the engine itself as well.
TaShadan

Post by TaShadan »

Andrettin wrote:
TaShadan wrote:While playing i noticed that i cant select previously grouped buildings with the number hotkeys. For example i like to set my barracks on 1 but when i click 1 i cant select the barracks. Also miners dont attack enemy units when right clicking them. I have to order an "a" move. In general i enjoyed the game and iam looking forward for more content.
I'm glad that you enjoyed the game!

I tested the number hotkey grouping with buildings and had the same issue. That is, as far as I know, something that can only be changed by modifying the engine itself, rather than the lua files. As for the miners not attacking enemy units upon right-clicking, we can only assign one right-click action to each unit, so the workers have "harvest". They do automatically repair when right-clicking, but there's probably an exception made at the engine itself as well.
Too bad. I guess i will get used to it though. Will there be more units and buildings in the next release?
Warcraft 2.5

Total Annihilation Conversion with improved graphics, controls and an additional faction.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

TaShadan wrote: Too bad. I guess i will get used to it though. Will there be more units and buildings in the next release?
There will be a few new units: the dwarven scout, the dwarven ballista and the gnomish worker. The dwarven scout and the dwarven ballista will not be buildable yet, but it will be possible to build them once the dwarven lumber mill and the dwarven blacksmith buildings are introduced to the game. There is already a special event which allows you to hire a group of mercenaries for a certain amount of gold, and some dwarven scouts are included among them. Dwarven steelclads are also included in that group of mercenaries, and they have received new graphics. A hero unit for Rugnur is also going to be included.

There will also be buttons which couldn't make it to the game's initial release, such as one for the "stand ground" action for military units.
TaShadan

Post by TaShadan »

Do you have a concept for the upcoming buildings, units, upgrades etc.?
Warcraft 2.5