What you've done/are_doing with stratagus

razorback

Re: What you've done/are_doing with stratagus

Post by razorback »

mmm not really xd, i am just a guy that one started to modify stratagus using a lot of things and time, it would be very nice upload it to share, but the game still crashing, inexplicably...i'd like to fix that king of bugs in first place :)
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

How did you rip the assets from the original War Wind game?

Note, I wrote this message prior to doing any research. Here's a link with the ripped assets.

http://www.mediafire.com/?enc2w58aq3ns1a9

-Big Daddy, hopes to incorporate the map tilesets into Wargus
razorback

Post by razorback »

i actually extracted the sprites, image by image
-first step record a video in fraps with the animations, everyone of them (still, move, attack, die...)
-order all the images of a single unit in a .png
-modify the colors to 256 and eliminate everything different than the sprite (tilesets)
-repeat that multiple times for all of the units from the game and for a few more from war wind II
:S

and about the tileset, sure, i don't have any trouble ;)
jgraef

Post by jgraef »

I've extracted every image contained in the War Wind resource files. I also extracted all sounds and I began to extract maps. From maps I can only extract objects but not the ground tiles (I just don't know how to map the numbers from War Wind to the images of ground tiles). I'll upload everything (images, sounds and programs to extract) soon. But first I have to fetch them from an old hard drive and that takes its time. And I also sorted all sprites with a handwritten script by race, action and whatever.
But I'm also highly interested in writing a War Wind clone. I'm an experienced programmer. So I think we should all affiliate and write this game together.
b_o

Post by b_o »

jgraef wrote: But I'm also highly interested in writing a War Wind clone. I'm an experienced programmer. So I think we should all affiliate and write this game together.
Windgus is sort of the same thing.. I think I still have a copy of it. did you see the screen shots earlier in this thread? maybe you should contact the guy that was working on it?
b_o

Post by b_o »

I'm working on a tileset, and it seems to work now that I've fixed the color cycling issues in the palette. The blue water is animated, but the green water isn't. I've replaced the mountains with swamp, and switched the dirt and grass. Still need to fix a couple of things though. I might start importing some new units once the tileset is finished.

I might try making a dungeon tileset similar to the caves in warcraft 1. Does it seem feasible in stratagus to add to the tileset a bunch of single unconnectable destructible wall tiles to make bashable doors and treasure chests and stuff?
Last edited by b_o on Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
jarod42

Post by jarod42 »

b_o wrote:I might try making a dungeon tileset similar to the caves in warcraft 1. Does it seem feasible in stratagus to add to the tileset a bunch of single unconnectable destructible wall tiles to make bashable doors and treasure chests and stuff?
stratagus engine supports any tile.
We have some hard coded stuff to manage "connection" for wood, rock, wall.
In addition, in our editor, we have more code to auto fill neighbour with appropriate tiles
(we can't have dark water near dark grass).

Tileset stuff really need a rewrite :-/
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

b_o wrote:I'm working on a tileset, and it seems to work now that I've fixed the color cycling issues in the palette. The blue water is animated, but the green water isn't. I've replaced the mountains with swamp, and switched the dirt and grass. Still need to fix a couple of things though. I might start importing some new units once the tileset is finished.

I might try making a dungeon tileset similar to the caves in warcraft 1. Does it seem feasible in stratagus to add to the tileset a bunch of single unconnectable destructible wall tiles to make bashable doors and treasure chests and stuff?
It might be useful to look at how the Dungeon tileset is structured for War1gus:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~stratagus/ ... ungeon.lua

As far as I know, there are still issues with destructible doors, but in the meantime until that is fixed in Stratagus, it should be possible to make a door "building".