Wyrmsun

Wyrmsun is an RTS / Grand Strategy game which features elements of mythology, history and fiction.
cybermind

Re: Wyrmsun

Post by cybermind »

Are you modified the existing Stratagus random map generator or made it directly through Lua? And if that isn't a secret, what algorithm did you used?
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

cybermind wrote:Are you modified the existing Stratagus random map generator or made it directly through Lua? And if that isn't a secret, what algorithm did you used?
Why would it be a secret? It's an open source game, after all :)

I made the random map generation through lua, in fact I didn't know that there is an existing Stratagus random map generator. You can see the algorithm I used here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/173 ... ration.lua

Basically, the algorithm first creates a "grid" of the desired size and the places the tile types upon it. Then it applies the tiles into Stratagus with the SetTile() function, which tile of that tile type is used depending on the tile types surrounding it.
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

Hey Andrettin. Been playing this game a bit. Even though it's only got one map it looks great! I love how it all looks, and it feels very solid too :) Can't wait for you to expand it more man, you have a good game going :)

Also just wondering if anyone creates more graphics like checkboxes, radio buttons and slider bars, I'd be more than happy to code those for the interface for you man. Now I know how, it's easy :)
b_o

Post by b_o »

I think that the 1360 resolution option should be changed to 1366.
TaShadan

Post by TaShadan »

Is it possible to have even higher resolutions in the future?
Warcraft 2.5
http://www.moddb.com/mods/warcraft-25
a fast paced Broodwar/Warcraft2 style mod for Warcraft 3 TFT (without heroes)

http://zero.tauniverse.com/
Total Annihilation Conversion with improved graphics, controls and an additional faction.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

DinkyDyeAussie wrote:Hey Andrettin. Been playing this game a bit. Even though it's only got one map it looks great! I love how it all looks, and it feels very solid too :) Can't wait for you to expand it more man, you have a good game going :)

Also just wondering if anyone creates more graphics like checkboxes, radio buttons and slider bars, I'd be more than happy to code those for the interface for you man. Now I know how, it's easy :)
Thanks! :)

About the checkboxes, radio buttons and slider bars, I have been following the thread you created about them, and I think that by following the examples you showed I would be able to code it.
b_o wrote:I think that the 1360 resolution option should be changed to 1366.
Having a 1366 resolution width option would be nice, but it wouldn't require just setting up the resolution in the code; each resolution needs new graphics.
TaShadan wrote:Is it possible to have even higher resolutions in the future?
Theoretically yes, but as I mentioned to b_o above, it would require new graphics for the new resolutions (unless the existing graphics were stretched, but that wouldn't look very good). This would mean extra work on the graphics for every UI that is introduced.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Wyrmsun v0.1.2 has been released :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Changes in v0.1.2
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

* Buildings
- Added a Town Hall for the gnomes (graphics by Jinn).
- Added a Farm for the gnomes (graphics by Jinn).
- Added a Barracks for the gnomes (graphics by Jinn).

* Events
- The "Greebo's Shinies" event now requires the map to have a minimum amount of rocks in it, and Greebo spawns near a rock.
- The "Andvari's Gold" event now requires the map to have a minimum amount of water in it, and Andvari spawns near water.
- Added the "The Retired Warrior" event, which gives the hero Baglur to the player it triggers for.
- If the player receives the quest from the "Strike a Bargain?" event, he can't win by destroying all enemies as long as he has the quest.
- In the "Strike a Bargain?" event, the extra raider units are now generated for a secondary raider player, which is allied to the original raider player, but neutral to the gnomes. This was done to avoid the situation in the Chaincolt Foothills map where a gnomish scavenger goes to the mine near Rugnur's outpost with the extra raider units following him, resulting in a very early attack, destroying the red player.

* Heroes
- Added Baglur (dwarf) (icon graphics by Jinn).

* Interface
- Button text is no longer capitalized.
- The borders of the in-game menus are now displayed in a prettier manner.
- It is now possible to access the tech tree screen while playing a map.
- The borders of buttons are now displayed in a prettier manner.
- Clicking on units or building in the tech tree now brings up a panel with the description of that object.
- The "Other" world option for the single player game setup has been replaced by the addition of the "Custom Map" map option regardless if "Earth" or "Nidavellir" have been selected as the current world.
- Added a "Quests" screen accessible from the single player menu, so that the player can keep track of the quests which are available, and which ones are already completed.

* Maps
- A few maps (such as Chaincolt Foothills and Scandinavia) now have decoration units randomly generated in them.
- Chaincolt Foothills: Slightly increased the amount of starting resources for all players.
- Chaincolt Foothills: Choosing to play with the Shorbear Clan dwarven faction will make the human player be the green one instead of red.
- Scandinavia: Added a neutral farm in the southeast of the map (you don't need to defeat it to win the scenario).
- Scandinavia: The purple player now starts the scenario with two scouts.
- It is now possible to choose to play randomly-generated maps (it takes a bit to generate it).
- Chaincolt Foothills: The gnomish player's mead hall has been replaced with a gnomish town hall.
- Chaincolt Foothills: The gnomish player's mushroom farm has been replaced with a gnomish farm.

* Miscellaneous
- Magnifying glass cursor now properly displays its black outline.
- Player 3's color is now actually green, rather than the teal color it was previously (color tones suggested by Jinn). Player 11 remains teal.
- Player 8's yellow color is now milder (previously it was rather bright) (color tones suggested by Jinn).
- Player 7's and player 14's white color is now milder (previously it was rather bright) (color tones suggested by Jinn).
- Player 14's color is now brown, rather than repeating player 6's black (color tones suggested by Jinn).
- Player 16 (the neutral player)'s color is now grey, rather than repeating player 8's yellow (color tones suggested by Jinn).
- Player 12's color is now purple, rather than repeating player 4's violet (color tones suggested by Jinn).
- Player 10's color is now cyan, rather than repeating player 2's blue (color tones suggested by Jinn).
- Player 9's color is now pink, rather than repeating player 1's red (color tones suggested by Jinn).
- Player 13's color is now "fire", rather than repeating player 5's orange (color tones suggested by Jinn).
- Player 15's color is now "radioactive", rather than repeating player 7's white (color tones suggested by Jinn).
- Change the text for "Video Resolution Width" and "Video Resolution Height" to "Resolution Width" and "Resolution Height", because the former were trampling on each other.

* Terrain
- Added bones decoration unit (graphics by b_o).
- Added flowers, large flower, goblin banner, log, fern, twigs and wyrm skeleton decoration units (graphics by b_o).
- Added a mushroom decoration unit (graphics by b_o). This unit begins as a mushroom spore and grows over time; it will be eaten by rats if they get near it.
- Wasteland tileset renamed to "Swamp".
- Added small rocks decoration unit (graphics by b_o).

* Units
- The dwarven miner's lumber harvesting animation speed has been updated to reflect graphically the slower harvesting speed (relative to the gnomish scavenger) it already had de facto.
b_o

Post by b_o »

Nice update. With the new gnome buildings, it seems like it's time to make the gnome civilization playable in the single player maps.

EDIT:

It looks like the fogofwar.png seems to have an issue. The black should have an rgb value of 000 so the borders match the solid blackness. I fixed it here by adjusting the palette :
fogofwar.png
fogofwar.png (1.46 KiB) Viewed 6017 times
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

Andrettin wrote:Thanks! :)

About the checkboxes, radio buttons and slider bars, I have been following the thread you created about them, and I think that by following the examples you showed I would be able to code it.
That's cool man :) Like I said, your game looks great and is so solid when playing. Had a go with the latest build, using the random map generator (Will have to have this put into wargus too!) and it felt great to play. Got my ass kicked tho lol, but it was fun. Once I learn the units and factions it'll be better, plus once more buildings and advanced structures and units are put into the game it will be more awesome too :)

Good work!
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

b_o wrote:Nice update. With the new gnome buildings, it seems like it's time to make the gnome civilization playable in the single player maps.

EDIT:

It looks like the fogofwar.png seems to have an issue. The black should have an rgb value of 000 so the borders match the solid blackness. I fixed it here by adjusting the palette :
fogofwar.png
Thanks, b_o!

About making the gnomes playable, although it would be nice to have two playable civilizations, there would be a few issues with that. The most important one is that although right now they have the same quantity of playable units and buildings as the dwarves, the next step for the dwarves would be to add a lumber mill and throwing axe upgrades for the scout, which would leave the gnomes with much less unit variety in comparison. Also, without their own buttons, UI and cursor, the gnomes' interface wouldn't be very distinctive from that of the dwarves.

I replaced the old fog of war with the new one, but unfortunately I didn't notice any difference. Here is how it looks now:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/173 ... reen03.png
DinkyDyeAussie wrote: That's cool man :) Like I said, your game looks great and is so solid when playing. Had a go with the latest build, using the random map generator (Will have to have this put into wargus too!) and it felt great to play. Got my ass kicked tho lol, but it was fun. Once I learn the units and factions it'll be better, plus once more buildings and advanced structures and units are put into the game it will be more awesome too :)

Good work!
Thanks again!