Wargus Warcraft 1 Recreation

WIP aims to Wargus, while maintaining the game's ambience and gameplay experience.
b_o

Re: Wargus Warcraft 1 Recreation

Post by b_o »

DinkyDyeAussie wrote: Resizing the Wolf-rider graphics is most likely the only way (without recreating them), to get them in the game. All the units that aren't in Wargus/Warcraft 2 are going to have to be recreated/heavily modified.
when you say 'recreated' are you talking about code? or just the graphics?
The green slime resizes fairly well with hqx, both the sprite and the icon...

I'd like to see what hqx does to the war1 tilesets.. I've only ever been able to see the war1 forest tileset as a tileset, since the old war1 map editor accessed it.
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

If you want map shots with the other tilesets, I made renders of each and every orc and human campaign map - all forest/swamp/mine tileset, I'm still trying to workout what size the maps are - I'm sure they're at least 128x128, but they might even be 256x256, but that could be because of the low resolution of the game - 320x240, compared to 640x480 for Warcraft 2, where a 128x128 map would essentially be the same size as a 256x256 size map in Warcraft 1.

Looking at the renders of the whole maps and comparing the unit sizes to the rest of the map - thats the way I'm working it out anyway.

On the topic of recreating the assests - it would probably be just the graphics, and then we could use code from a war 2 unit that's not in the first one for the code...IDK, it's an idea.
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

Freecraft has a faily generic looking catapult in it. It looks like a modified warcraft 2 orc catapult but doesn't have all the spikes on it. we could use that for this mod.
b_o

Post by b_o »

DinkyDyeAussie wrote:Freecraft has a faily generic looking catapult in it. It looks like a modified warcraft 2 orc catapult but doesn't have all the spikes on it. we could use that for this mod.
Personally I'd rather modify the war2 one myself rather than use the freecraft 1. But it doesn't matter so much because anyone could pop their own version in relatively easily.
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

I did some photoshop work this morning on the Orc Interface for War1gus. I've done all resolutions for wargus. Tell me what you think.
Warcraft 1 Orc Wood Interface for War1gus/Wargus
Warcraft 1 Orc Wood Interface for War1gus/Wargus
War1Interface.png (224.26 KiB) Viewed 8912 times
Just finished a test version of the Human interface - only did the 640x480 resolution to see what it looks like. Looks good to me, but what do you guys think?
Beta Human interface for War1gus/Wargus
Beta Human interface for War1gus/Wargus
War1InterfaceHuman.png (205.48 KiB) Viewed 8907 times
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

Good job! I like where you're heading with the Human Interface.

I think the lighter areas of the Orc Interface (particularly on the right) could use some darker colouring.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

Thanks man :)

I think the orc interface as a whole could be alot darker, like it is in war 1 - I'll work on that today if I can. With the human interface I took a screenshot in DOSBox and opened it up and used the colour sampler in Photoshop to get the light and dark colours used in the marble effect in the original game, then used those two colours and created the marble for the new interface.

So yeah, I am happy with them, but yeah I'll work on the orc one and make it darker.
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

How's this... coming along?
Attachments
GYVwy5r.jpg
GYVwy5r.jpg (50.98 KiB) Viewed 7799 times
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

Haven't worked on the interface for a while Dig Daddy, been busy mucking around with code to try and make infopanel.png work properly - no luck. I will be getting around to finishing these interfaces off. I've also thought about remaking the building and unit assests in 3d so the game can be higher quality. That will neccessitate me having to learn character modelling, which shouldn't be too hard.
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

Here is another new interface I worked on this afternoon. Felt like it took forever, but I really think I got the look down this time around with the darkness of the wood texture. I love this new version, please let me know what you think too :)
War1Shot.png
War1Shot.png (233.82 KiB) Viewed 7401 times