WC2 Alpha Graphics

Wargus is a Warcraft 2 mod that allows you to play Warcraft 2 with the Stratagus engine.
Andrettin

WC2 Alpha Graphics

Postby Andrettin » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:16 pm

As many of us know, there are quite a few differences between the alpha and final graphics for WC2. One which I only discovered yesterday was that in the alpha, units had death frames for every direction. Unfortunately, since the alpha generic corpse graphics were reasonably different from the final ones, there aren't extra death frames for the final version of the generic corpses.

Nevertheless, I took the extra death frames (up, side and down) for the Grunt and built a spritesheet including them:

Big Daddy

Re: WC2 Alpha Graphics

Postby Big Daddy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:29 am

This is right smart.

I've tried in the past to get the WARTOOL program to work with the demo of War2, with the intention of expanding it to include the Alpha as well as War1 later on, but the source given is nary a wee bit documented and the binary released doesn't match the source.

I'm reckoning I'll be writing a new version some point down the road, when I have the time. As it stands, I have roughly 5 hours of truly free time a week.

What have you been using to extract graphics from the alpha? The old Camelot DOS tools?
b_o

Postby b_o » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:58 am

wow, I've never noticed the additional death frames either. I have seen other stuff from the alpha and the pre-alpha put into war2, like buildings and icons, though there were also a couple of different boats without enough angles to make anything out of them.
Attachments
wc1.png
wc1.png (78.25 KiB) Viewed 3115 times
wc2.png
wc2.png (78.22 KiB) Viewed 3115 times
Andrettin

Postby Andrettin » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:24 am

Big Daddy wrote:This is right smart.

I've tried in the past to get the WARTOOL program to work with the demo of War2, with the intention of expanding it to include the Alpha as well as War1 later on, but the source given is nary a wee bit documented and the binary released doesn't match the source.

I'm reckoning I'll be writing a new version some point down the road, when I have the time. As it stands, I have roughly 5 hours of truly free time a week.

What have you been using to extract graphics from the alpha? The old Camelot DOS tools?
I used Wardraft. If you want the alpha.knw file (which is needed to load the data with wardraft), let me know.
b_o wrote:wow, I've never noticed the additional death frames either. I have seen other stuff from the alpha and the pre-alpha put into war2, like buildings and icons, though there were also a couple of different boats without enough angles to make anything out of them.
Thanks for posting that! I had seen those buildings before (like the farm) and they interested me, but they were in jpegized form. But in your screenshot, they are at full quality :)
b_o

Postby b_o » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:48 am

You actually already had those farms in a more usable form with an additional frame for the build sequence in your 'ace files' at /Warchive/farms.zip I think the alternate barracks was cleaned up and put into war2 as well... I'm not sure if you have that one though.

When you use WarDraft on the alpha, don't you have to select 'alpha standard' in the GFX converter when converting to BMP? I think you need to select 'alpha symbols' in the GFX converter when dealing with Warcraft 1 GFX's in the Warcraft 1 data file.
Andrettin

Postby Andrettin » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:47 pm

b_o wrote:You actually already had those farms in a more usable form with an additional frame for the build sequence in your 'ace files' at /Warchive/farms.zip I think the alternate barracks was cleaned up and put into war2 as well... I'm not sure if you have that one though.
Oh! Thanks, I hadn't realized that.
When you use WarDraft on the alpha, don't you have to select 'alpha standard' in the GFX converter when converting to BMP? I think you need to select 'alpha symbols' in the GFX converter when dealing with Warcraft 1 GFX's in the Warcraft 1 data file.
The alpha .knw file is already set to understand the graphics as alpha GFX, and I click to preview them Wardraft creates a "Wardraft.bmp" in its folder which contains the graphics in question.
Kargath

Postby Kargath » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:19 am

Ahaha, In the past I've enjoyed the alpha knight, the one with the carrot-face horse :D