Bugs - Wargus 2.2.7 on Ubuntu 12.04

Wargus is a Warcraft 2 mod that allows you to play Warcraft 2 with the Stratagus engine.
tauro

Bugs - Wargus 2.2.7 on Ubuntu 12.04

Post by tauro »

Hello community,

First off I want to thank and congratulate you for your work and for keeping the project up and alive. It's great to be able to play the classic Warcraft II on GNU/Linux natively and with advanced options and improvements.

I downloaded the Ubuntu 12.04 .deb binary from the ppa. Installed it without problems, and tried to play the campaign mode.

I'm sorry to say that although I can select a lot of characters, have a big resolution, have the ability to train many units at the same time, etc; I wasn't able to play the campaign mode successfully or nicely.

1. Can't load a saved game
I don't know the reason, but I couldn't load a saved game from the main menu and from each level either. Only a few times it worked while saving and loading a game from the same level I was playing, but the majority of the times it exited with a segmentation fault. This feature is unusable and to play the campaign mode is more than necessary.

2. Human Level V. Tol Barad doesn't start and exits
The last readable line is "Decorations ui, bloodlust, haste, slow, invisible, shield.png"
Gladly I found the patch from jarod42 in this thread and applied it. Now this problem is solved.

3. Orc Level VII. The fall of Stromgarde. Computer attacks you when it shouldn't

When you start the level, immediately two footmen approach and attack you. This doesn't happen when running in DOSBox.

4. Orc Level X. The destruction of Stratholm is impossible to win

No matter how hard you try, which strategy you use, you will lose. The enemy will eventually attack you with high level knights and footmen and destroy you. Even if you create 10, 12, 15 grunts, you have no chance against them. This is due to some error in AI programming.
I had to restart the level 5 times as I can't load games with Wargus, but it was futile. So I decided to install DOSBox and try it, and it was nice and playable. The day and night.

5. Orc Level X. Goblin sapper's demolish attack is not as powerful as in the DOS version
I noticed this in this level too, because you have to destroy some rocks with the goblin sappers. Playing the level in DOSBox proved that I could manage to destroy this rocks with only two goblin sappers, while in Wargus I need at least three of them.

6. It kept asking for Human Battle 6.ogg.gz and exiting
As a workaround I copied and renamed Human Battle 1.ogg.gz

7. It kept asking for Orc Battle 6.ogg.gz and exiting
As a workaround I copied and renamed Orc Battle 1.ogg.gz.

My conclusions:

Unfortunately it isn't yet enjoyable to play the campaign mode with Wargus 2.2.7, so I have no option but to play it with a very slow resolution and with some other hassles with DOSBox. But with DOSBox the AI is appropriate and the levels are enjoyable.

On the other hand, I think Wargus has a great future and is appropriate if you have friends and want to play in a LAN. It's much more comfortable to play it with a big resolution and with many other advantages such as selecting a lot of players, double-clicking to select many players, etc.

Anyway I took the time to double and triple check this bugs and report them here because I hope that my post will be useful to the developers so that they can improve this beautiful peace of software.

I'll be waiting some news.

Thank you.
Kyran

Re: Bugs - Wargus 2.2.7 on Ubuntu 12.04

Post by Kyran »

I believe this has been fixed in the trunk.

2. Human Level V. Tol Barad doesn't start and exits
Fixed in trunk.

3. Orc Level VII. The fall of Stromgarde. Computer attacks you when it shouldn't
I will look into this issue for you.

4. Orc Level X. The destruction of Stratholm is impossible to win
I'll adjust the AI with the following specifications:
Builds: footmen, archers, destroyers, battleships, transports
Upgrd: footmen, archers, rangers, paladins, mages, ships
Needs: barracks, lumber mill, blacksmith, church, mage tower, ship yard, foundry
Notes: ships will not attack

6. It kept asking for Human Battle 6.ogg.gz and exiting
Sounds like there is an issue here of not having the expansion.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
jarod42

Post by jarod42 »

I have introduced a bug in trunk when Loading from Campaign.
I have to fix it.
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

This'll make mission 10 winnable.
Attachments
level10o_c.sms.zip
Wargus/campaigns/orc
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 379 times
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
jarod42

Post by jarod42 »

1)
I have normally fixed a Save/Load problem ('campaign-ai' not found)
(pb was in Save, so problematic savegame still don't work,
a workaround is to go to the campaign level and then Load the savegame).

4)
I didn't apply your patch since you disallow cavalry,
so the AI won't success and will be blocked...
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

jarod42 wrote:I didn't apply your patch since you disallow cavalry,
so the AI won't success and will be blocked...
Yeah, but it's now winnable. :) I'm planning to replace that AI with the ai_nephrite_nocav one, though right now it's a little over powered.
Attachments
ai_nephrite.lua.zip
(2.05 KiB) Downloaded 372 times
Gauny

Post by Gauny »

Hello,

i have similar problems.

I cant play, cause in 5. mission (Orc) game crashed. Cant save, cant play "directly wihout save", cant nothing.