Lumber bug

Wargus is a Warcraft 2 mod that allows you to play Warcraft 2 with the Stratagus engine.
xyfmx

Lumber bug

Post by xyfmx »

Wargus 2.2.6 x64

Peasants stop chopping wood often, as if the path to the wood is somehow blocked. It is possible to force them to chop wood by leading them manually directly to the wood, making them stand just in front of the tree, and them command them to chop. If they're commanded to chop when there's some distance between them and the wood they would stand and do nothing.

This thing was also discussed here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/wargus/+bug/919792

How can i fix that bug, what should i change? It's said that this is already fixed in the trunk, but 2.2.7. is not about to be released soon, so i wish i could get some instructions to edit some data files to fix it or some kind of patch, because, as I've already said, 2.2.7. doesn't seem to be released soon, while this bug makes 2.2.6 totally unplayable
DinkyDyeAussie

Re: Lumber bug

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

Here, I compile the trunk releases and I test the game.
Stratagus8369.zip
(2.57 MiB) Downloaded 372 times
This is version 2.2.6: Build 8369 of the code. The tree harvesting bug and a slew of other bugs are fixed and now work. make sure you download the latest wargus scripts as well from the wargus trunk (click on "download tarball" when you click the latest trunk release).

This should help you. Keep us up to date with how you go in terms of gameplay/crashing etc...

2.2.7 won't be up for a while, but the more testers we can have the better 2.2.7 is going to run.

Have fun.

- Dinky
xyfmx

Post by xyfmx »

Thanks a bunch! It really helped! I've already tried playing a bit and the lumber seems to be totally fine) I haven't experienced other bugs yet, but I'm gonna keep testing and reporting if I find anything.

Thank you for your help! Could you also help me with some piece of advice/unstructions here?
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

You're welcome :) Another happy customer - business is good :)

That trunk release to me seems to be very stable. I played a skirmish game all the way through with no crashes.

I have yet to test the campaign maps, and mainly want to test behavioural properties - in quite a few of the levels the AI is creating units too quickly, and seems to be reactive to what you have in terms of the upgrades it does during gameplay, and then sends in a platoon and wipes you out, where-as the same level in the original warcraft 2 it doesn't do this.

I am thinking it may have to do with aggression setting or the AiAttackForce("val
ue") that depicts how quickly the AI reacts/trains/etc... Again I am not sure exactly what setting can control this.

Either that or I just need to be a better player :lol: :P

On the topic in your link, yes I agree it is stupid that you have to destroy EVERY unit the enemy has on certain maps in order to finish that particular map, but Kyran is experimenting with these setting alot more than I am.

I am modifying the interfaces to better reflect the original look, but in higher resolutions, but I do muck around with code and have experimented a tiny bit with code, but it's not the AI code sorry.

In time I'm sure parameters will be used/implamented to deal with this problem, and the code to do it probably already exists within the engine, but just hasn't been utilized in the LUA campaign files.
xyfmx

Post by xyfmx »

As for the strange rapidness of the AI — while playing 4th human campaign mission AI creates ships really very very fast and that's strange. I ain't sure, but it seems like the speed of the ship appearance is equal to the speed of its production, and that's quite strange, 'cause you have to have infinite resources to build in such a way and AI as a rule has not many peons and not too much gold in the mine at such an early missions...

As for UI designing — that stretched images on the sidebars really turn me off, so i just created ones of higher resolution, combined of differently rotated 640x480 samples)
Vortaka

Post by Vortaka »

Hi! Well, I finally was able to get the 2.2.6 *fix to work (64bit doesn't work, of course!) and am waiting for 2.2.7

For the time being, however, I will test both campaigns (the original and the expansion) and if there are any bugs or glitches, well, I will report!

Oh, yeah, main reason of this post! Lumber seems to work with the fix! I'll do more missions to be sure and I'll keep in touch!

Vortaka

Edit: Well, the peasants work now but I cannot go higher then level 3 (level 4 bugs at start). I'll wait for 2.2.7 then!
Edit2: Ahum... My bad... Level 4 works as it should... Now let's play!
Edit3: Weird... It asks for music/Human Battle 6.ogg, but that particular file never existed (at least for me!). It was never created or extracted... Does it even exist?
jarod42

Post by jarod42 »

I don't have neither music/Human Battle 6.ogg (extracted from FR CD normal+ extension...)
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

There is no music/Human Battle 6.ogg. Only goes up to 5 for orc and human with the music files for my copy.

Might be an LUA problem I think.
Vortaka

Post by Vortaka »

You are... RIGHT!!

Both humans and orcs scripts ui.lua contain battle 6.ogg! And that thing does NOT exist!

I do think I found a bug! Squash!
(Going to test it it's possible to squash it, temporarily until 2.2.7 is out, anyway!)
It works but I am unable to start mission 5 (the video works, the intro speech/map works but it blocks when the files are loading and it doesn't give me any info in a stratagus error file...).
Vortaka
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

run stratagus-dbg.exe to see if you get a readout.

I've got visual C++ which I use to compile the builds and send them to anyone that wants to test, and it debugs my copy of the game executable if it flips out, but it should come up with a message box stating the .cpp file the error is in, and also the line the error is on in that specific file too. Let us know, and I'm glad that music file error is fixed :)