Ripping tile/sprite sheets

Wargus is a Warcraft 2 mod that allows you to play Warcraft 2 with the Stratagus engine.
Big Daddy

Ripping tile/sprite sheets

Post by Big Daddy »

Howdy!

In this thread, I would like to discuss the various mods that were developed for the original Warcraft 2.

There had been a few graphic replacement patches, such as new tilesets, as well as total conversions with all new graphics.

In order to get these working in Wargus, I had to first patch my War2 install, and then run the wartool on the patched install.

For tilesets, I believe the limit is hardcoded in the engine and hence may need to be edited and recompiled from source.

Would anyone care to share their experiences and thoughts?

On a related note, I have been attempting to backup all War2 mods, partial conversions, and total conversions for posterity and use with Wargus, however, the Internet of the 90's is mostly dust now, and there's a lot of stuff missing from even the Wayback Machine.

-Big Daddy
Kyran

Re: Ripping tile/sprite sheets

Post by Kyran »

There should be any problems in adding new tilesets, that's all taken care of via the LUA scripts.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
b_o

Post by b_o »

I'd like to know which war2 mods the stratagus community still has. I have the 'weapons of our warfare' mod, a war1 ogre enlarged and converted to war2, a different swamp tileset with trees instead of mushrooms, and some other stuff. I'd be particularly interested in getting a copy of the war2 'special edition' mod which had the new hero and upgraded unit gfx's which looked more like their icons.
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

I have weapons of our warfare as well, and a few tileset mods, and a huge pile of PUDs to be batch-converted.

To find mods, use wayback machine, reocities, anything you can get your hands on, and archive the entire site if you can.

We should pool all our resources.
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

BO - The mods you have, are you planning on submitting them for the rest of the community?

I will do the same if we can set up some kind of shared file space.
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

Just upload everything to this forum. It accepts zip files up to 250mb.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
b_o

Post by b_o »

I already put that swamp tileset up on this forum somewhere else. Where should this sort of thing be done? Should there be a separate section for war2 mods with sections for tilesets, unit gfx, conversions, etc? It would make sense to include that sort of stuff on a stratagus forum since the data would be mostly compatible and reusable. Big Daddy is all talk so far, he ought to start uploading stuff (no offense intended).
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

Uploads can all go in the resources forum.