Major Bugs Making Game Less Enjoyable

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.
snv
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:58 am

Major Bugs Making Game Less Enjoyable

Postby snv » Tue May 05, 2015 1:37 pm

I have noticed severe flaws with the game:
1. random damage output makes it more the game of chance, than the game of skill. Fix: implement static damage, like in Starcraft. Make blizzard/death_and_decay always hit all cells.
2. orcs with bloodlust make human side useless. Fix: reduce it in power. Make human's healing automatic.
3. ranged units are completely useless, because of not providing enough damage output. Fix: either increase their range / attack speed, or make them more powerful than footmen, but with a lot less health, so they get very powerful at choke points, but useless without guards, especially against cavalry.
4. air attackesrs are useless. Fix: make them less costly without requiring higher tech level. divide them into bombers and air attackers
5. grunts being made useless by ogres. Fix: less strength for ogres, because just the faster movement time already makes them too powerful
6. useless/overpriced spells: raise dead, whirlwind, flame shield, runes, etc. Fix: make them usefu or replacel. Increase strength of skeletons, make fireshield non-damaging to allied units. Some kind of teleportation spell would provide a lot of tactical opportunities.
7. No air transport. If you lost naval warfare, you've lost the game. Fix: implement carrying ability for air scouts (say 2 units on board), making them more useful. Decrease their health, so they could be taken down easily.
8. Suicide bombers are almost useless
9. AI cheats and sees through fog of war. Fix: fix it.
User avatar
cybermind
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Major Bugs Making Game Less Enjoyable

Postby cybermind » Tue May 05, 2015 7:56 pm

If you're talking about Wargus, all these "bugs" wouldn't be fixed because Wargus aims to remake Warcraft 2 game mechanics as closely as possible.
Still, new Wargus 2.3 of supports mods, so you could implement all those bug fixes as a mod, and we will include it with the next Wargus release.
snv
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:58 am

Re: Major Bugs Making Game Less Enjoyable

Postby snv » Wed May 06, 2015 5:03 am

cybermind wrote:If you're talking about Wargus, all these "bugs" wouldn't be fixed because Wargus aims to remake Warcraft 2 game mechanics as closely as possible.
Aleona's Tales does that too. And this is why you guys can get sued. Mindlessly copying bugs and imperfections has no rationale.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fictitious_entry
cybermind wrote:Still, new Wargus 2.3 of supports mods, so you could implement all those bug fixes as a mod, and we will include it with the next Wargus release.
At least somebody should add option "fix balance issues".
User avatar
Kyran
Posts: 499
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:19 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Major Bugs Making Game Less Enjoyable

Postby Kyran » Wed May 06, 2015 1:41 pm

Aleona's Tales is Wargus, just with different graphics.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
User avatar
Kyran
Posts: 499
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:19 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Major Bugs Making Game Less Enjoyable

Postby Kyran » Thu May 14, 2015 6:03 pm

These are some good ideas. I'm planning on implementing some of them with Timeless Tales.
snv wrote:1. random damage output makes it more the game of chance, than the game of skill. Fix: implement static damage, like in Starcraft. Make blizzard/death_and_decay always hit all cells.
Going to make it so the damage variance is small.
snv wrote:2. orcs with bloodlust make human side useless. Fix: reduce it in power. Make human's healing automatic.
These abilities will be melee only, and passive. So if a unit stands next to the healer, he'll be constantly healed.
snv wrote:3. ranged units are completely useless, because of not providing enough damage output. Fix: either increase their range / attack speed, or make them more powerful than footmen, but with a lot less health, so they get very powerful at choke points, but useless without guards, especially against cavalry.
Archers will be made more deadly. It might also be possible to make enemy units rout while under fire.
snv wrote:4. air attackesrs are useless. Fix: make them less costly without requiring higher tech level. divide them into bombers and air attackers
I'm going to focus on having air units as support only. Transport and scouting come to mind.
snv wrote:5. grunts being made useless by ogres. Fix: less strength for ogres, because just the faster movement time already makes them too powerful
I'm going to make more cav units, each with a specialty. The basic cav will be a Scout. From there you can upgrade to a Dragoon (ranged cav), Hussar (light cav), or heavy cav.
snv wrote:6. useless/overpriced spells: raise dead, whirlwind, flame shield, runes, etc. Fix: make them usefu or replacel. Increase strength of skeletons, make fireshield non-damaging to allied units. Some kind of teleportation spell would provide a lot of tactical opportunities.
The default factions (Freemen and Wilds) won't have many castable spells. The Order faction will make extensive use of teleporters.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
User avatar
Andrettin
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:58 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Re: Major Bugs Making Game Less Enjoyable

Postby Andrettin » Thu May 14, 2015 6:50 pm

Kyran wrote:Going to make it so the damage variance is small.
Wyrmsun has a "No Randomness" mode (makes damage be constant, among other things), maybe implementing that would be a good idea for TT as well? This allows players that enjoy randomness to have it, and those that prefer no randomness to make the game more deterministic also be able to play the way they want.
These abilities will be melee only, and passive. So if a unit stands next to the healer, he'll be constantly healed.
Similar to an aura? Nice idea. I imagine some changes would be needed to the engine, though, to make that possible?
Archers will be made more deadly. It might also be possible to make enemy units rout while under fire.
b_o and I were discussing a somewhat similar idea, regarding rout. Units could have a "morale" value, which would start at 100%, and would decrease when hit at a faster rate than HP. Once morale reached 0%, the unit would begin to run away.
I'm going to focus on having air units as support only. Transport and scouting come to mind.

I'm going to make more cav units, each with a specialty. The basic cav will be a Scout. From there you can upgrade to a Dragoon (ranged cav), Hussar (light cav), or heavy cav.

The default factions (Freemen and Wilds) won't have many castable spells. The Order faction will make extensive use of teleporters.
Nice stuff :) Will the cavalry upgrades be individual upgrades for the units, or researches that convert all scouts?
User avatar
Kyran
Posts: 499
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:19 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Major Bugs Making Game Less Enjoyable

Postby Kyran » Thu May 14, 2015 9:42 pm

Andrettin wrote:Similar to an aura? Nice idea. I imagine some changes would be needed to the engine, though, to make that possible?

b_o and I were discussing a somewhat similar idea, regarding rout. Units could have a "morale" value, which would start at 100%, and would decrease when hit at a faster rate than HP. Once morale reached 0%, the unit would begin to run away.
I was thinking: 100% moral is standard attributes, and if you increase morale above that attack and movement speed go up, and if it goes below attack speed decreases.
Andrettin wrote:Nice stuff :) Will the cavalry upgrades be individual upgrades for the units, or researches that convert all scouts?
There are pros and cons with each. It would be interesting tactically if you could only use one type. Dragoon beats Heavy Cav, Heavy Cav beats Hussar, Hussar beats Dragoon. I'm considering having a pike unit to counter cav, but I'm not sure if the engine could handle that.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
User avatar
Andrettin
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:58 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Re: Major Bugs Making Game Less Enjoyable

Postby Andrettin » Fri May 15, 2015 12:12 am

Kyran wrote:I'm considering having a pike unit to counter cav, but I'm not sure if the engine could handle that.
In Wyrmsun, Goblin Spearmen have a bonus against mounted units (of which so far there is only the Yale Rider):

Code: Select all

BonusAgainstMounted = 100,
Even if you're going to use the mainline engine for TT, it should be relatively straightforward to port this feature to it.
User avatar
Kyran
Posts: 499
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:19 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Major Bugs Making Game Less Enjoyable

Postby Kyran » Fri May 15, 2015 12:15 am

Fantastic, you've thought of everything. Now that I'm using the upstream engine, I'll be working to make Timeless Tales more like Wyrmsun, rather then making Wyrmsun Thunder to be more like Wargus. :D
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest