WIP - Wargus Improvement Project

WIP aims to Wargus, while maintaining the game's ambience and gameplay experience.
DinkyDyeAussie

Re: WIP - Wargus Improvement Project

Postby DinkyDyeAussie » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:23 am

Andrettin, if you want more interface graphics for the UI, just use mine. I can upload the latest versions of the graphics. I have to finish the war 1 interface pieces, but I have yet to make progress on the AT UI graphics - sorry Kyran :oops: - life gets in the way.

Soon though!

In the mean time let me know if you want my UI pieces Andrettin :)
Andrettin

Postby Andrettin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:08 pm

b_o wrote:nice update.

Thanks!
some things I noticed that could be improved:
Deathcoil seems incredibly weak for some reason.
It would make sense to disable the green order lines for wargus by default, though I guess it's easy enough for users to do that.
The palette for the mission briefing of level 2 of aleona tales campaign is messed up.

Something about the rangers hood kind of bugged me, so I've updated it and attached the new graphic to this message. I also removed some of the unnecessary transparent spots in the middle of the ranger.
I noticed that about the death coil as well, but I don't get why it is acting like that. It's supposed to deal 50 damage according to its spell entry, but it's doing much less than that. I tried setting the damage to 500 to see if it would affect anything, but alas, it has not. The issue could be with the missile script, but I also checked that and saw nothing of abnormal with it.

I personally prefer to play without the pathing lines as well, since they tend to make it harder to see the units. I think it would be a good idea to add an option to turn them off.

The issue with the palette seems to be random - sometimes it will load up fine for a mission, and other times it will not, for that same mission. The graphic file itself doesn't seem to have any issues. I took a look at the scripts that create the briefing but couldn't identify any problems either.

The new Elven Ranger graphics are great! I had also noticed that sometimes the old hood looked a bit off, and now it looks perfect!
DinkyDyeAussie wrote:Andrettin, if you want more interface graphics for the UI, just use mine. I can upload the latest versions of the graphics. I have to finish the war 1 interface pieces, but I have yet to make progress on the AT UI graphics - sorry Kyran :oops: - life gets in the way.

Soon though!

In the mean time let me know if you want my UI pieces Andrettin :)
That would be awesome :) The new UIs could serve a variety of uses, such as being used in a tileset-specific manner or for new races (I have your wooden UI and think it would work very well for an Elven race, for instance).
DinkyDyeAussie

Postby DinkyDyeAussie » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:54 am

Andrettin wrote:I have your wooden UI
Kargath

Postby Kargath » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:43 pm

I've noticed too an annoying bug with Death Knight death coil, the damage is veeery low. I'd boot the stats of heroes like Zul'Jin and Gul'Dan because they are too low, especially Gul'Dan: is one of the most strongest sorcerers ever lived. I'd replace the music tracks with b.net edition tracks, because those in wargus are low quality midi, both orcs and human plays the intro tracks sometimes, the briefing music is wrong and some tracks are missing.
Big Daddy

Postby Big Daddy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:14 pm

Warcraft 2 is Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3 is Warcraft 3, WOW is WOW.

I don't recall it ever mentioning in War2 that Guldan was all that and a bag of potato chips.

I know I'm stating what we already know, but can't make the mistake of turning War2 into War3 or WOW. As far as War2 is concerned, Night Elves or Tauren or Pandarians, never happened. Let War2 evolve on it's own, and not try to drag it, kicking and screaming, into the cartoony universe of it's sequels.
b_o

Postby b_o » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:33 pm

I agree, I prefer war1. War2 is not bad, but war3 and afterwards are all downhill.
Andrettin

Postby Andrettin » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:25 pm

Big Daddy wrote:Warcraft 2 is Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3 is Warcraft 3, WOW is WOW.

I don't recall it ever mentioning in War2 that Guldan was all that and a bag of potato chips.

My impression is that the sequels toned Gul'dan power level down, rather than up. In any case, the WC2 manual states:
Warcraft 2 Manual wrote:Trained in the arts arcane by the Daemon
Kil’jaeden, Gul’dan is perhaps the most powerful Warlock ever
to walk the temporal plane.
As it stands now, in-game Gul'dan is weaker than even a normal death knight (he has 20 less HPs, 1 less sight and 6 less piercing damage). His only advantage over a normal death knight is that he's not undead.
Kargath

Postby Kargath » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:59 pm

Ok, but should at least be powerful as Teron Gorefiend. This is nothing about War3/WOW: in War2 BTDP heroes got a huge boost in life, damage, armor etc.. compared to standard War2.
b_o

Postby b_o » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:03 am

Warcraft 2 Manual wrote:Trained in the arts arcane by the Daemon
Kil’jaeden, Gul’dan is perhaps the most powerful Warlock ever
to walk the temporal plane.
So what you're saying is that I need to give him his own GFX.
Maybe he should be faster than death knights too?
Should he still be mounted on a deathknight steed?
Are there any other details that should be incorporated into his GFX?
Andrettin

Postby Andrettin » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:25 am

b_o wrote: So what you're saying is that I need to give him his own GFX.
That would be very nice :)
Maybe he should be faster than death knights too?
Should he still be mounted on a deathknight steed?
Are there any other details that should be incorporated into his GFX?
I think he should have the same speed as death knights (after all, that's the same speed that mages have, and I don't see why a warlock should be faster than a mage, they seem to have about the same level of physical conditioning to me).

About the steed, I think that he would look better without one, being thus more similar to the warlocks of WC1 (although I think that unlike the warlocks, it would be a good idea if his face were visible, since he is a hero unit).