WIP - Wargus Improvement Project

WIP aims to Wargus, while maintaining the game's ambience and gameplay experience.
b_o

Re: WIP - Wargus Improvement Project

Postby b_o » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:16 am

are they? I have a gfx of a spider that replaces a war2 critter, but it's not animated.. I want to see fully animated and summonable spiders and scorpions.. Maybe they wouldn't even have to be resized from the warcraft 1 size.. I know that someone had converted the War1 daemons,and griselda/garona to war2, but I don't know where to find those, they will probably have to be re-done. I wonder if using an unresized war1 orc would work for a war2 goblin or dwarf...
Kargath

Postby Kargath » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:47 am

Converted to War2 but pixelated like War1 or fixed?
b_o

Postby b_o » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:40 am

Kargath wrote:Converted to War2 but pixelated like War1 or fixed?
I'm not sure what you mean. Spiders I have or what I'd like to see? Or the grizelda/garona and daemons? the war1 graphics can be used in war2 as is, but they would look smaller, which is ok for spiders/scorpions and maybe even slime, and might be how you can use war1 orcs as goblins or dwarves in war2. The daemon and garona mods were enlarged and I think they were smoothed for war2. I think the spider critter was also smoothed, but I don't remember. what is the case in the mod you mentioned with spiders?
Kargath

Postby Kargath » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:56 am

I mean, the converted units, are ok compared to other War 2 units, or they mantain the low quality pixelated look of War1?
b_o

Postby b_o » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:25 am

Kargath wrote:I mean, the converted units, are ok compared to other War 2 units, or they mantain the low quality pixelated look of War1?
Again, which units are you talking about? There are different answers for different units. It's possible to convert war 1 units to war2 without making them pixelated, by leaving them 1/4th the size of war2 units. That might be ok with spiders or scorpions, and maybe if you want little people like goblins or dwarves. It is also possible to enlarge the war1 units so that they are the same size as war2 units, but they will be a bit pixelated unless you do something to them. It is possible to enlarge the war1 units to war2 sizes and to de-pixelize them so that they will be the same size as war2 units and not be pixelated. There are several ways to attempt the last thing mentioned. The easiest way is to use something like HQX to resize them, as HQX attempts to avoid pixelization. Someone can alternatively resize them, and then color over them to remove the pixelization, that is the most labor intensive and best looking option. Or someone can resize them and attempt to apply some sort of softening filter similar to HQX, like soften/sharpen. Or resizing them with HQX, then going over them again manually to fix the spots that HQX missed or didn't handle well enough. Included some pictures, but no picture of the most labor intensive way:
compare.png
compare.png (10.18 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
Kyran

Postby Kyran » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:51 pm

The WC1 campaign maps aren't direct conversations, so could they be distributed with AT? Mm.

I'll soon be merging compatible portions of this mod with Aleona's Tales. Then the plan is to merge the compatible portions of AT with Wargus. I call it, the Circle of Stratagus!
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
Andrettin

Postby Andrettin » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:57 pm

Kyran wrote: I'll soon be merging compatible portions of this mod with Aleona's Tales. Then the plan is to merge the compatible portions of AT with Wargus. I call it, the Circle of Stratagus!
Cool :)

What do you think of including the Aleona's Tales missions in WIP?

The idea is that when the player marked the "Aleona's Tales" option under "Universe", the game would show the Aleona's Tales missions when the "Campaign Game" submenu is opened, as well as make any necessary redefinitions (if any) for the Aleona's Tales universe.
Kyran

Postby Kyran » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:23 pm

Sounds like a good idea.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
Andrettin

Postby Andrettin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:49 am

WIP 1.3 Released

Main changes:
- Aleona's Tales' first four missions are now included in WIP (to play them, in the Options menu mark the "Aleona's Tales" option under "Universe", instead of the default "Warcraft").
- Addition of heroes in the campaign battles in which we know or can presume that they participated.
- Added Orc left-side part of the UI in HD for the 1024x768 and 1360x768 resolutions.
- Inclusion of the Dwarven Axefighter NPC unit.

A more detailed changelog can be found within the readme file.
b_o

Postby b_o » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:20 am

nice update.

some things I noticed that could be improved:
Deathcoil seems incredibly weak for some reason.
It would make sense to disable the green order lines for wargus by default, though I guess it's easy enough for users to do that.
The palette for the mission briefing of level 2 of aleona tales campaign is messed up.

Something about the rangers hood kind of bugged me, so I've updated it and attached the new graphic to this message. I also removed some of the unnecessary transparent spots in the middle of the ranger.
Attachments
elven_ranger.zip
updated ranger graphics
(27.57 KiB) Downloaded 113 times