WIP - Wargus Improvement Project

WIP aims to Wargus, while maintaining the game's ambience and gameplay experience.
b_o

Re: WIP - Wargus Improvement Project

Postby b_o » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:55 am

Andrettin wrote:
Big Daddy wrote:Units can be defined and redefined, but the data for the units are spread across a couple lua files.

Some guy n here was posting graphics from his own stratagus game, and it had randomized unit graphics, IE, 3 designs for the same unit, and the graphic for a particular unit is chosen randomly upon unit generation.

I think this is a good idea for Wargus, eventually.
Do you know if he made the code for that publicly available?
I'm suspecting that he was talking about me, but I didn't actually incorporate it into stratagus, or even make a stratagus game. I was only asking if it was possible to do that sort of thing in order to potentially bring my non-stratagus game into stratagus. And apparently, it is possible through editing the AI: See the original thread here: http://forums.stratagus.miniature-railw ... php?t=2862
Andrettin

Postby Andrettin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:09 am

Screenshots of revamped Elven Swordsman graphics, coming next version:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/173 ... %20Sc1.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/173 ... %20Sc2.png
b_o wrote:
Andrettin wrote:
Big Daddy wrote:Units can be defined and redefined, but the data for the units are spread across a couple lua files.

Some guy n here was posting graphics from his own stratagus game, and it had randomized unit graphics, IE, 3 designs for the same unit, and the graphic for a particular unit is chosen randomly upon unit generation.

I think this is a good idea for Wargus, eventually.
Do you know if he made the code for that publicly available?
I'm suspecting that he was talking about me, but I didn't actually incorporate it into stratagus, or even make a stratagus game. I was only asking if it was possible to do that sort of thing in order to potentially bring my non-stratagus game into stratagus. And apparently, it is possible through editing the AI: See the original thread here: http://forums.stratagus.miniature-railw ... php?t=2862
Thanks! The code which jarod42 mentioned for the AI equivalencies I managed to find, but unfortunately not the one for creating random units (the train unit button code only allows for a single value for unit type).
jarod42

Postby jarod42 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:50 am

Animation code has been improved by cybermind,
he add the possibility to "code" simple stuff in the animation which allow to use different graphics per unit.
Note that currently, Animation need one file per unit.
Remember that the format of a unit-graphic is

N NE E SE S (SW W NW)
line1
line2
lineN

Animation is a list of "command"

Basic/Common commands for simple animation consist of
- which line to show (engine uses correct direction)
- nb of pixel to move
- nb of game frames to wait before next step

Advanced command allow some test on unit/player variable
set unit/player variable, goto to some label (optionally with some probability)

So if you concatenate unit image

image1-line1
image1-lineN
image2-line1
image2-lineP

you can use "random goto" to initialize a unit Variable ("imageVersion" or "imageOffset" ?)
and then test imageVersion to use correct animation.
(or add imageOffset to the line to display).

I hope it is clear enough.
Andrettin

Postby Andrettin » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:01 pm

The next version of WIP will contain a NPC Water Elemental unit (stats might be changed):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/173 ... 20Sc01.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/173 ... %20Sc2.png
jarod42 wrote:Animation code has been improved by cybermind,
he add the possibility to "code" simple stuff in the animation which allow to use different graphics per unit.
Note that currently, Animation need one file per unit.
Remember that the format of a unit-graphic is

N NE E SE S (SW W NW)
line1
line2
lineN

Animation is a list of "command"

Basic/Common commands for simple animation consist of
- which line to show (engine uses correct direction)
- nb of pixel to move
- nb of game frames to wait before next step

Advanced command allow some test on unit/player variable
set unit/player variable, goto to some label (optionally with some probability)

So if you concatenate unit image

image1-line1
image1-lineN
image2-line1
image2-lineP

you can use "random goto" to initialize a unit Variable ("imageVersion" or "imageOffset" ?)
and then test imageVersion to use correct animation.
(or add imageOffset to the line to display).

I hope it is clear enough.
Thanks jarod! I am not sure I understood everything correctly, but I think I got most of how it works.
Kargath

Postby Kargath » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:01 pm

I like this project, do you plan to use different graphics for heroes, paladins/ogre magis?
Andrettin

Postby Andrettin » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:35 pm

Kargath wrote:I like this project, do you plan to use different graphics for heroes, paladins/ogre magis?
I'm glad you like it :)

That is a nice idea. There are already unit graphics for Danath and Kilrogg Deadeye from the old WC2 mods which could be added, for instance.
Kargath

Postby Kargath » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:13 am

When I was 9/10 years old I've enjoyed many conversions, custom gfx for Warcraft 2. Then all the stuff disappeared from web for many years til Ace Calhoon put the files on upload. Now I hope War2 modding will be resurrected. ;) Is possible to have team colored icons like original Warcraft 2?
b_o

Postby b_o » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:41 am

Andrettin wrote:
Kargath wrote:I like this project, do you plan to use different graphics for heroes, paladins/ogre magis?
I'm glad you like it :)
That is a nice idea. There are already unit graphics for Danath and Kilrogg Deadeye from the old WC2 mods which could be added, for instance.
We also have deathwing(I suggest the oversized version of it), zul'jin, paladins, elven rangers, troll berserkers(with different mohawk), mage with hat to distinguish from mage hero without hat. Kilrogg could be a new unit rather than replacing one of the other orc hero's?

This was basically the idea behind the War2 special edition mod, which a lot of those GFX's were initially created for. Shall we resurrect the mod for wargus? If so, perhaps we should set up a progress thread.
Kargath

Postby Kargath » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:51 am

Oh yeah, there was a big Deathwing, didn't remember.
Andrettin

Postby Andrettin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:22 am

WIP 1.2 Released

Changes:

* Buildings
- Fixed a bug which made the pig farm<->farm and dwarven demolition squad<->goblin sappers equivalencies not work.

* Campaigns
- Human13: Orgrim Doomhammer now replaces one of the Grunts which ambush Lothar (not only does the mission's briefing allude to the presence of Doomhammer in Blackrock Spire, but according to the Tides of Darkness novel, Doomhammer participated in this battle and fought Lothar himself, and the best way to incorporate what the novel says without retconning anything is to have Doomhammer be in the group that ambushed Lothar).
- Orc11: Player 1 now uses Elven Swordsmen instead of Footmen (since that player represents an Elven Stronghold).
- OrcX5: Tileset is now Wasteland rather than Forest, to be more consistent with other representations of Blackrock Spire.
- Added first level of the Warcraft 1 Human and Orc campaigns.
- Human5: Fixed bug which caused the mission to crash.
- Orc7: Enemy now uses the SeaAttack AI, which is more appropriate for this map than the LandAttack AI.

* Heroes
- Gul'dan is no longer undead.
- Orgrim Doomhammer added.
- "Korgath Bladefist" corrected to "Kargath Bladefist".

* Units
- Elven Swordsman graphics revamped.
- Ballista and Catapult can now be repaired.
- Water Elemental NPC unit added.

* UI
- Most new icons (Elven Swordsman, Orgrim Doomhammer and Water Elemental) are now loaded from separate files.
- Added support for 1360x768 resolution.
- Added HD menu background graphics.
- Made the "Campaign Game" button the first one in the main menu.
- Changed the font of the writings in the main menu.
- Moved the "Exit Program" button upwards in the main menu.