WIP - Wargus Improvement Project

WIP aims to Wargus, while maintaining the game's ambience and gameplay experience.
User avatar
b_o
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:07 pm

Re: WIP - Wargus Improvement Project

Postby b_o » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:36 pm

Nice. What's planned for the next version?
User avatar
Kyran
Posts: 499
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:19 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: WIP - Wargus Improvement Project

Postby Kyran » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:43 pm

A GPL-licensed campaign, perhaps?

We could think about merging this with Wargus, minus the graphics.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
User avatar
Andrettin
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:58 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Re: WIP - Wargus Improvement Project

Postby Andrettin » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:36 pm

b_o wrote:Nice. What's planned for the next version?
I want to add more graphics from the old WC2 mods, perhaps a new tileset, and a new minicampaign with the Orc levels from the WC2 demo, which detail the invasion and conquest of (southern) Khaz Modan.
Kyran wrote:A GPL-licensed campaign, perhaps?
That would be nice, but with what storyline?
We could think about merging this with Wargus, minus the graphics.
I would be glad to be able to contribute to the main project itself :)
User avatar
Kyran
Posts: 499
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:19 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: WIP - Wargus Improvement Project

Postby Kyran » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:01 pm

Andrettin wrote:I would be glad to be able to contribute to the main project itself :)
I believe a good way to go about this would be similar to what I've done in Aleona's Tales.

All new scripts go in /scripts/addon/ without overriding anything.

For example, new units go in wip_units.lua, new spells go in wip.spells.lua.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
User avatar
Andrettin
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:58 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Re: WIP - Wargus Improvement Project

Postby Andrettin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:53 am

Kyran wrote:
Andrettin wrote:I would be glad to be able to contribute to the main project itself :)
I believe a good way to go about this would be similar to what I've done in Aleona's Tales.

All new scripts go in /scripts/addon/ without overriding anything.

For example, new units go in wip_units.lua, new spells go in wip.spells.lua.
What about redefinition of units (i.e. making Lothar not able to cast spells), could that be done in such a modular fashion as well?
User avatar
Kyran
Posts: 499
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:19 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: WIP - Wargus Improvement Project

Postby Kyran » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:49 am

I use override.lua to redefine units, however in this case you should apply the modification directly to Wargus.

So everything outside of making it more like War2 should go into /scripts/addon/
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me
User avatar
Andrettin
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:58 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Re: WIP - Wargus Improvement Project

Postby Andrettin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Kyran wrote:I use override.lua to redefine units, however in this case you should apply the modification directly to Wargus.

So everything outside of making it more like War2 should go into /scripts/addon/
And if I redefine function in a modular file, would that work too?

Thanks for the help!
User avatar
Big Daddy
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:23 pm

Re: WIP - Wargus Improvement Project

Postby Big Daddy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:51 am

Units can be defined and redefined, but the data for the units are spread across a couple lua files.

Some guy n here was posting graphics from his own stratagus game, and it had randomized unit graphics, IE, 3 designs for the same unit, and the graphic for a particular unit is chosen randomly upon unit generation.

I think this is a good idea for Wargus, eventually.
User avatar
Andrettin
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:58 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Re: WIP - Wargus Improvement Project

Postby Andrettin » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:07 am

WIP 1.1 is out.

It makes the modification work in a modular fashion, incorporating Kyran's idea.
User avatar
Andrettin
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:58 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Re: WIP - Wargus Improvement Project

Postby Andrettin » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Big Daddy wrote:Units can be defined and redefined, but the data for the units are spread across a couple lua files.

Some guy n here was posting graphics from his own stratagus game, and it had randomized unit graphics, IE, 3 designs for the same unit, and the graphic for a particular unit is chosen randomly upon unit generation.

I think this is a good idea for Wargus, eventually.
Do you know if he made the code for that publicly available?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests