Wargus Warcraft 1 Recreation

WIP aims to Wargus, while maintaining the game's ambience and gameplay experience.
b_o

Re: Wargus Warcraft 1 Recreation

Post by b_o »

Andrettin wrote:That is indeed a possibility, but wouldn't it make peasants carry wood after digging (which could seem a bit strange); and they would also need a town hall in order to keep digging.
Which is why I'm wondering if their collection sprite can be changed to the sack of gold in that tileset, and if we can change the amount of resource collected to 0 in a specific tileset or level. Also, if you can change the amount of resource collected to 0, wouldn't it not display anything being carried?
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

Why don't use rocks instead of trees?
b_o

Post by b_o »

Kargath wrote:Why don't use rocks instead of trees?
I was actually thinking of using both. I don't think there were any peasants in the dungeon levels in WC1, so the harvesting logs problem is not really an issue. I was thinking of putting webs on some of the walls, so more tiles for the dirt walls is better.
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

Is possible to modify the engine and use cliffs like Starcraft?
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

b_o wrote: Which is why I'm wondering if their collection sprite can be changed to the sack of gold in that tileset, and if we can change the amount of resource collected to 0 in a specific tileset or level. Also, if you can change the amount of resource collected to 0, wouldn't it not display anything being carried?
It seems to me that changing the collection sprite to a sack of gold for a particular tileset would require some workarounds. I'm not sure what changing the amount of resource collected to 0 would do, but I imagine it would likely have either of these results: 1. The peasant begins carrying wood as soon as it starts to harvest or 2. The game crashes. In any case, as you mentioned it, there were no (IIRC) peasants in the WC1 campaign scenarios.

I don't think you even need to define trees for the tileset, though. You could just define the "rocks" (cave walls), "grass" (cobblestone), "dirt" (cave floor), the dungeon walls and the wall-rock/dirt transition tiles. The only reason why you would need to define trees, AFAIK, is if you wanted maps made for other tilesets to be convertible to dungeon maps on the fly.
Kargath wrote:Is possible to modify the engine and use cliffs like Starcraft?
It should be possible, but it would probably require quite a bit of work, and modifying the source code itself.
b_o

Post by b_o »

Andrettin wrote:I don't think you even need to define trees for the tileset, though. You could just define the "rocks" (cave walls), "grass" (cobblestone), "dirt" (cave floor), the dungeon walls and the wall-rock/dirt transition tiles. The only reason why you would need to define trees, AFAIK, is if you wanted maps made for other tilesets to be convertible to dungeon maps on the fly.
Good points. So when you define say (cave walls) so that they are just solid and unharvestable, where would you change how each tile connects to other tiles, like with borders and such? Is there a way to make it so it doesn't connect to anything but is placed one tile at a time rather than in a paintbrush fashion, and then select manually which tiles are solid and passable? The reason I am concerned is that I'm considering enlarging the 16*16 tiles to 32*32, in which case, one face of a cave wall might take 3 tiles from ground to top, and such an arrangement is not similar to any of the current terrains in how they function in the map editor. Another thing I was wondering was that if BOSwars can use tile patches, can we just take one of those large images of the entire map, and call it a single tile patch? obviously those full map images would have to be altered to remove destructible's and such, which would then have destructible things placed on top of the large image at the appropriate locations.
Andrettin wrote:
Kargath wrote:Is possible to modify the engine and use cliffs like Starcraft?
It should be possible, but it would probably require quite a bit of work, and modifying the source code itself.
I thought aleona tales already had cliffs.
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

If you have and/or like Warcraft 3, there is a nice remake of the original game here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps ... 26page%3D2 http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps ... 26page%3D2
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

b_o wrote:I thought aleona tales already had cliffs.
There are cliff graphics, but they don't seem to be defined in the tileset lua. In any case, what I meant by it being quite a bit of work was in regards to the way cliffs work in Starcraft 2 - with the possibility of cliff jumping and etc.
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

For maps, do you use War2 editor? If maps are done simply with the war2 editor, I can help with some maps. How do I use Warcraft 1 with HQX?
Kyran

Post by Kyran »

Kargath wrote:For maps, do you use War2 editor? If maps are done simply with the war2 editor, I can help with some maps. How do I use Warcraft 1 with HQX?
The War2 editor works nicely for Stratagus.
04:27 jim4 why haven't you added wc1 support? this project sucks. i'm only going to use freecraft
05:06 jim4 finished wc1 support yet? i've been waiting for 6 years
05:10 jim4 new things scare me