Wargus Warcraft 1 Recreation

WIP aims to Wargus, while maintaining the game's ambience and gameplay experience.
Andrettin

Re: Wargus Warcraft 1 Recreation

Post by Andrettin »

I recreated the first WC1 Human level in Wargus:

DinkyDyeAussie wrote:Looking very cool there Andrettin!!! No pun intended, despite the fact it's a water sprite...you know, water, equals cool???...Yeah lame joke...:lol:

But wow man just wow. Love it and it will make a cool addition to the game.

Gotta get to photoshop the darn dark swamp with trees tileset I do...
I'm glad you liked it :) Jinn is indeed a very talented pixel artist, as was the RoR team.
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

Wonder if we can implement Bridges in Wargus tilesets? Maybe that will help speed up the recreation.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

DinkyDyeAussie wrote:Wonder if we can implement Bridges in Wargus tilesets? Maybe that will help speed up the recreation.
It wouldn't make the recreation go faster (we can just use dirt tiles instead), but it certainly would make it better :)
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

Yeah I guess we could make the bridges out of dirt...But what about the Cave levels under Wargus? There's a whole heap of new tileset pieces we would have to recreate from scratch...
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

DinkyDyeAussie wrote:Yeah I guess we could make the bridges out of dirt...But what about the Cave levels under Wargus? There's a whole heap of new tileset pieces we would have to recreate from scratch...
We could use the wasteland tileset to represent the caves until we get some better idea. The walls could be replaced by the WC2 walls; that would make them destructible, but I don't think that would change the gameplay of the scenarios too much. The biggest issue I see is with there not being transition tiles between walls and rock in WC2, and that even the wasteland tileset may seem a bit too "outdoorish" (a new cave tileset would be better suited). In any case, the dungeon missions are placed fourth in each campaign, so we still have a bit of a long way to go until we get there.
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

I think the main problems are roads. About the icons, I've seen here some nice recreations of old War1 icons, but there were also some nice recreations during War2 modding era, if I'm not wrong were spider, scorpion, conjurer, wolfraider.
b_o

Post by b_o »

DinkyDyeAussie wrote:Wonder if we can implement Bridges in Wargus tilesets? Maybe that will help speed up the recreation.
Doesn't aleona tales already have bridges implemented? I know I've seen them in it's tilesets.
Kargath wrote:About the icons, I've seen here some nice recreations of old War1 icons, but there were also some nice recreations during War2 modding era, if I'm not wrong were spider, scorpion, conjurer, wolfraider.
Here's a couple of other icons made from Warcraft 1 multiplayer connect screens. Perhaps the human would be used for young Lothar, and the orc for a wolfraider or wolfraider hero?:
w1.png
w1.png (2.6 KiB) Viewed 5641 times
Andrettin wrote: The walls could be replaced by the WC2 walls; that would make them destructible, ... The biggest issue I see is with there not being transition tiles between walls and rock in WC2
Perhaps the dirt cave walls should replace trees, so that if you have a couple of peasants, you can dig through a wall. Maybe we can use those images of the dungeon maps and make a grid as you suggested, though the new tileset might have less variation than the original war1 one.
cave.png
cave.png (28.54 KiB) Viewed 5641 times
This is what I was thinking of trying:
walls = wc1 cave rock walls
light grass = wc1 dirt
dark grass = wc1 cobble
trees = wc1 cave dirt walls
dirt = wc1 cobble
dark dirt = wc1 red carpet
mountains = wc1 cave rock walls
water = wc1 cave dirt walls
Last edited by b_o on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

There was a un unreleased Warcraft 3 Project called Dawn of Chaos, it had redone icons for the units. Maybe they look too War3/3d http://dawn-of-chaos.wikia.com/wiki/Footman
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

Inside the old Warcraft 2 archive by Ace Calhoon there are a younger Lothar (with icon), a conjurer (war 2 style, not pixelated like War1), and also a footman with shield.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

b_o wrote:
Andrettin wrote: The walls could be replaced by the WC2 walls; that would make them destructible, ... The biggest issue I see is with there not being transition tiles between walls and rock in WC2
Perhaps the dirt cave walls should replace trees, so that if you have a couple of peasants, you can dig through a wall. Maybe we can use those images of the dungeon maps and make a grid as you suggested, though the new tileset might have less variation than the original war1 one.
cave.png
This is what I was thinking of trying:
walls = wc1 cave rock walls
light grass = wc1 dirt
dark grass = wc1 cobble
trees = wc1 cave dirt walls
dirt = wc1 cobble
dark dirt = wc1 red carpet
mountains = wc1 cave rock walls
water = wc1 cave dirt walls
That is indeed a possibility, but wouldn't it make peasants carry wood after digging (which could seem a bit strange); and they would also need a town hall in order to keep digging.