Wargus Warcraft 1 Recreation

WIP aims to Wargus, while maintaining the game's ambience and gameplay experience.
DinkyDyeAussie

Re: Wargus Warcraft 1 Recreation

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

Wow man his artwork is awesome :) Would love to see all this war1 stuff in higher res. This project is going great!
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

b_o wrote: Are you in touch with him? I like his stuff more than mine. If he wants to make some stuff for this, I'll make the stuff he doesn't want to.
His CGA stuff is interesting: http://jinndev.deviantart.com/art/Warcr ... -265092855
I am in touch with him, yes. He has told me that animating sprites is not his specialty, so perhaps it would be a good idea for you to focus on sprites which would need new animations (such as possibly the wolfrider)?
Last edited by Andrettin on Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
b_o

Post by b_o »

so I've finished the orc lumbermill for all 4 tilesets and put them in one of the older posts on this thread, but it occurred to me that perhaps we should use the war2 pre-alpha-dome-farms for the orc farms in warcraft 1 for wargus, since their architecture is more similar to the Warcraft 1 buildings and the lumber mill. They seem more orcish than tree stump farms, and the stumps seem kind of out of place appearing where there were no trees.

...which leads me to a somewhat unrelated thought. The war 2 tree stump farms would make better farms for a troll race than orcs if we wanted to try making different races playable separately in wargus; Perhaps we could use the troll lumbermill as a barracks/townhall combo. Orcs and humans could get warcraft 1 selection of units. Elves and trolls might get elfcraft selection (though I'm not sure what's in elfcraft as I haven't been able to install it - someone should make a page showcasing all of the new stuff that's in elfcraft). Undead could get deathcraft selection of units, etc.. And even if there's not a large selection of units for some races like dwarves, it would be interesting to be able to play as a limited race with only a few types of units, especially in co-op multiplayer games. Graphically we'd probably only need to make resource gathering sprites for different races and maybe modify some existing stuff to make it work. Or we may be able to alter the resource system for some races so there would be no need for gatherers, making certain buildings multi-function as farms and gold/wood producers or something. Or have a troll barracks produce units with a mana-bar instead of gold/lumber.

Andrettin, do you know if that CGA war craft is playable or if it's just mockup art?
DinkyDyeAussie wrote:Why not just use the Orc Catapult for both sides if both sides had them in the first Game? It would make sense and ...
I think the orcs could use the war2 orc catapult. But for the humans, here is a human catapult which is less orc-ish.
human catapult, de-orcified
human catapult, de-orcified
hcat.png (12.2 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
I suppose it should require a human lumber mill so we can have human catapults and elven ballistas in the same game, while the ballista would still require the elven lumber mill. I think they both also require a blacksmith. For the war 1 levels humans wouldn't build elven lumber mills. Maybe the human lumber mill should be accessible in the regular war2 campaigns as well, and the human catapult can be slower and more powerful like in war1?
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

b_o wrote:so I've finished the orc lumbermill for all 4 tilesets and put them in one of the older posts on this thread, but it occurred to me that perhaps we should use the war2 pre-alpha-dome-farms for the orc farms in warcraft 1 for wargus, since their architecture is more similar to the Warcraft 1 buildings and the lumber mill. They seem more orcish than tree stump farms, and the stumps seem kind of out of place appearing where there were no trees.

...which leads me to a somewhat unrelated thought. The war 2 tree stump farms would make better farms for a troll race than orcs if we wanted to try making different races playable separately in wargus; Perhaps we could use the troll lumbermill as a barracks/townhall combo. Orcs and humans could get warcraft 1 selection of units. Elves and trolls might get elfcraft selection (though I'm not sure what's in elfcraft as I haven't been able to install it - someone should make a page showcasing all of the new stuff that's in elfcraft). Undead could get deathcraft selection of units, etc.. And even if there's not a large selection of units for some races like dwarves, it would be interesting to be able to play as a limited race with only a few types of units, especially in co-op multiplayer games. Graphically we'd probably only need to make resource gathering sprites for different races and maybe modify some existing stuff to make it work. Or we may be able to alter the resource system for some races so there would be no need for gatherers, making certain buildings multi-function as farms and gold/wood producers or something. Or have a troll barracks produce units with a mana-bar instead of gold/lumber.
I think using the different farm graphics to represent different races is a very good idea, specially since the alpha farm is both significantly different from the normal orc farm and it is nicely done.
Andrettin, do you know if that CGA war craft is playable or if it's just mockup art?
As far as I know, it is a mockup.
I think the orcs could use the war2 orc catapult. But for the humans, here is a human catapult which is less orc-ish.
hcat.png
Pretty cool :)
I suppose it should require a human lumber mill so we can have human catapults and elven ballistas in the same game, while the ballista would still require the elven lumber mill. I think they both also require a blacksmith. For the war 1 levels humans wouldn't build elven lumber mills. Maybe the human lumber mill should be accessible in the regular war2 campaigns as well, and the human catapult can be slower and more powerful like in war1?
Regarding the lumber mills, one possibility I was thinking of was to create a Elven Lumber Mill research (which in the campaign would be automatically activated), which would transform human Lumber Mills into Elven Lumber Mills, and would replace the ability to train human Archers at the Barracks with that of training Elven Archers (existing human archers wouldn't be upgraded, though). The idea is that, in settlements where both elves and humans exist, they would specialize in what they are best; and since the elves are better than the humans in woodcraft and archery, their lumber mills and archers would take the place of the humans'.

In the WC2 campaign, the humans would begin the missions with that research already researched.
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

OMG that lumber mill is beautiful!!! Also other buildings will be remade? What about road system?
b_o

Post by b_o »

Kargath wrote: Also other buildings will be remade? What about road system?
I dunno, we could remake other buildings. and perhaps stick the war1 buildings in an alternate tileset. Since each tileset uses it's own buildings, we can make a series of war1 tilesets, or we can make the war 1 buildings have other functions, like the war1 church would be for clerics, while the war2 one is for paladins.

I was just messing around making this, but I don't think it's good enough yet:
needs a lot of work
needs a lot of work
church.png (2.66 KiB) Viewed 6211 times
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

That's really awesome! You will keep the roof War2 styled or like War1? I have the War1 music remastered (is really good, is 100% like the original). I can upload it if needed.
b_o

Post by b_o »

What do you mean "remastered"? Are you talking about the redbook audio from the battle chest edition of warcraft 1?

I used to have a midi board attachment for my sound card back in the 90's, and it made the warcraft 1 midi music sound so much better than the warcraft 1 redbook audio that was on the battlechest version of Warcraft 1. I regretted having to part with that midi board when I upgraded to a faster computer which didn't have the bus architecture to support the soundcard I had with the extension board pins. If I had access to one of those midi boards, I would capture the war1 midi music rather than using the redbook audio version from the battle chest edition.

I'd probably opt for a war2 style of roof on certain buildings. I should really try to make the roof tiles on that steeple look better. and I think I should add some sort of wall texture, and maybe normalize the size of the windows.

here's some more of the spearman:
attack east
attack east
te.gif (1.63 KiB) Viewed 6198 times
walk east
walk east
we.gif (2.98 KiB) Viewed 6198 times
edit: added these:
attack north east
attack north east
ane.gif (1.55 KiB) Viewed 6179 times
walk north east
walk north east
wne.gif (2.88 KiB) Viewed 6179 times
attack north
attack north
an.gif (1.56 KiB) Viewed 6179 times
walk north
walk north
wn.gif (2.77 KiB) Viewed 6179 times
Last edited by b_o on Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kargath

Post by Kargath »

That's spearman got improved, great! I can't wait to see it finished and in game. Anyway this is an example of the audio tracks I'm refering: http://www.sendspace.com/file/eu0ig9
DinkyDyeAussie

Post by DinkyDyeAussie »

Kargath your music sample sounds better than my version, and I bought the battlechest edition of Warcraft 1/2 so yeah, having the better music would be awesome.